Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 Screen May Be Susceptible to Screen Scratches.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Reviewers and YouTube examiners are discovering that the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 screen is susceptible to screen scratches. However, the Gorilla Glass manufacturer Corning disagrees with the test results, and has fired back.

17953-15945-scratch-top-l.jpg

Early reviews of the Galaxy Note 7 screens made with the Gorilla Glass 5 were readily picking up scratches. Compounding the reviewers' claims, frequent product test video generator YouTube Channel JerryRigEverything found that a relatively very soft scratch-testing pick caused damage to the screen glass.

JerryRigEverything damaged the screen with a testing pick of Mohs hardness 3. A tempered glass screen protector tested was scratched with hardness 5 pick.

For comparison, the iPhone 5s screen with Gorilla Glass 4 was rated at a Mohs hardness of 6.8. The Mohs rating of the iPhone 6 with Apple's ion-hardened glass is not known, but does scratch more readily than the iPhone 5s does.

The tester claims that most smartphones, including the iPhone, are scratched at around hardness 6. A screen scratching at hardness 3 is only slightly more scratch resistant than plastic.

Corning responded to the video in an interview with Android Authority. The glass manufacturer takes issue with the testing method, erroneous conclusions based on the damage, as well as discusses the characteristics that make Gorilla Glass suitable for portable electronics.

You can read more by clicking on the link below. In the meantime, those of you who opted for the N7... Play it safe and get yourself a quality screen protector.

Source:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
NO!!!! Y U POST this guy :(:(:(

I refuse to watch his trite insipid videos.....

But now I want to know what happened.... dangit

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
He just does to the phones in one sitting what we could do over time, not sure about the fire part, but I guess some might just drop the phone into the fire ring at the beach or camping...
We need to see some good screen protector options that work that are fully covering yet don't pop with a tight cover...

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I read that article, my question to it is as they state the GG5 is harder than the 3, 4, 5 picks thus they leave a residue/metal film, yet the GG4 doesn't scratch until pick 6, yet no "metal film" is left on it...
Definitely will be a question for a while.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Of course Corning is going to respond and they responded in a manner that I expected. Basically saying the test was not "industry". Except when I use my phone I'm not using it "industry" either.

If that glass can scratch easy I'm glad someone put that out there so people know to buy a screen protector. I must admit that the past few phones I bought a glass screen protector to protect it from shattering if I dropped it. It has been awhile since we had to recommend people buy a screen protector so not to scratch their phone when they put it in the same pocket as their keys accidentally.

The fact other people have reported similar issues have me trusting the ytuber over Corning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Then there's the issue of the pics themselves becoming corrupted or contaminated with harder microscopic fragments making them act like a harder pic. Still I tend to believe this video, especially since you have to ask yourself what benefit would the guy reap from trashing a particular phone model, especially after he praises another from the same company?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then there's the issue of the pics themselves becoming corrupted or contaminated with harder microscopic fragments making them act like a harder pic. Still I tend to believe this video, especially since you have to ask yourself what benefit would the guy reap from trashing a particular phone model, especially after he praises another from the same company?

Exactly. Now if the guy was like "Samsung can't do anything right Apple is the best", then maybe I'll give the benefit.

At the end of the day the ytuber made an excellent point about buying a glass screen protector. You get both shatterproof and scratch resistance.

If that is the only issue from my phone then I could live with that. I wish manufacturers would just own it (because you know they know this already), throw in either a glass screen protector or provide a discount for purchase of a screen protector vs being hostile to sweep it under the rug and have customers learn after it's too late.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
well rats guess i will have to get a screen protector i don't really like them, but if the screen scratches that easily i should get one.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Why would they give you a screen protector when they can get a monthly fee for insurance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Question for you Jackie and others, Asurion or Square Trade?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Question for you Jackie and others, Asurion or Square Trade?

I believe in SquareTrade, mostly because I've never lost a phone or had one stolen. SquareTrade now gives you the ability to go to a local repair shop and have your phone fixed, instead of just shipping you a replacement. They also added something called (I think) On Demand repair where someone comes and gets your phone, takes it to be fixed, and brings it back to you. This is only available in certain cities at the moment.
If someone is going to put carrier protection on their phone, I recommend the lowest possible coverage that gives you lost/theft, and to keep it on for 6 months to a year. That's when the phone is worth the most. Verizon will try to get you to do their Total Mobile Protection, because it covers everything plus gives you tech support. Total Equipment Protection is $2 less a month and takes away tech support. There is also Wireless Phone Protection, but I'm not sure what that one covers. It may only be accidental damage. Of course the downside to carrier protection is the high deductible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jackie! BTW, your teammates at my Costco were very helpful, they were out of the Costco special power packs, but put it on backorder for today, love that place ;) going to get Sq Trade today.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Folks, I seriously doubt the Glass truly scratches with pics that have a Mohs hardness under 5. As noted, all glass has a hardness of between 5 & 6, so glass will scratch any material that has a Mohs hardness of 5 or below 5.

If you've ever had a scratch on your car paint and have gone to an auto parts store to buy a touch up paint, you'll find many of the touch up paint tubes include a scuffer either as a separate device or incorporated into the tube. I have three of them and on the end of the time the scuffer protrudes from the tip of the tube cap. The scuffer's purpose is to make the paint surface rough to allow the new paint to adhere properly. Paint may not adhere to the paint otherwise. This is similar to bicycle tube repair kits that come with sandpaper to scuff the tube before applying the glue and patch.

ce650badba4eb6d155f4fc9d5d044e54.jpg
357fb14d238aa066d72f78dbddfb3bd4.jpg

In the case of the touch up paint tubes the scuffer is a stiff point of fibers of glass compressed into a rod and bonded with acrylic, similar to tent poles or orange driveway marker poles. This glass rod will scratch anything upto the hardness of glass, and even glass itself.

1e45f96dbdc302cca635c2f40465b610.jpg

If something is hard enough to scratch something else, it's scientifically impossible for it to be scratched by that same material it can scratch unless the material is identically hard, so glass can scratch glass and plastic, but plastic can't scratch glass unless the plastic is contaminated with something hard or harder than glass. This is why fingers can scratch glass. It's not your skin that's scratching it, is the dirt in your finger prints and already on the glass.

Last edited: