Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Might Have PLS-LCD Instead of Signature AMOLED

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
super-pls-1.jpg

There's an intriguing new rumor floating across the web today suggesting that Samsung may be considering ditching their signature Super-AMOLED displays for their next generation flagship products. According to the report, Samsung may switch to their own Super PLS-LCD (plane-to-line-switching LCDs ) for both their Galaxy S5 and their Galaxy Note 4 later next year. Interestingly, the reason they are considering this is a cost issue.

Supposedly, the PLS-LCD could save them 20% of the phone's cost structure. Samsung is considering this move because of ultra-competitive pricing pressure from Chinese manufacturers like Oppo, Xiaomi, Huawei and Lenovo. The report suggests that Samsung might still offer a "premium F Series" version of their devices that would still have their higher end AMOLED display tech. This report also indicated that Samsung is still likely to offer 2K 2560x1440 pixel displays on their Galaxy S5 and Note 4 flagships next year regardless of which technology they go with for the displays.

Source: PhoneArena

wardo

Reaction score
2k screen has to look badass. I guess I'm glad I didn't get a note 3. Note 4 will be ridiculous.

jspradling7

Reaction score
And when the Note 4 is out we'll start drooling for the Note 5. : ) It nevers ends.

If that PLS-LCD is like the screen on my G2, I'll be looking to get the "F" model for the Super AMOLED. The G2 screen is fine, but I personally like the S4 screen better.

Caesars

Reaction score
I'm definitely a fan of amoled, either way I'm expecting other manufactures to pull me away from Samsung. I can't imagine that LG won't have some crazy products next year, maybe a realistic size iPhone, or even a Nokia.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Sammy Note. .not going anywhere myself anytime soon ..love my N3 ..and it won't be last Note

N3 tapa

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Meh, I think I'm going to enjoy my S4 for a very long time, and this only makes me feel better about that =p