Samsung To Showcase Worlds Thinnest AMOLED Display

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
sammylogo1.jpeg

Samsung is going to spotlight the worlds thinnest (1.92mm) AMOLED Display at the Society of Information Displays Expo that starts today in Boston. They are also expected to showcase a number of smartphone, tablet and TV displays that incorporate new technologies and high resolutions. Full presser below:

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung announced today that it will be showcasing industry-leading technologies at the Society for Information Display (SID) Display Week 2012, in the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, June 5-7, Booth #163.

Samsung Mobile Display's collection of about 20 display technologies includes the world's first and largest (55-inch) 3D OLED (organic light emitting Diode) TV panel, the world's thinnest touch sensor-integrated AMOLED panel, and several highly advanced mobile solutions. At the same time and in the same booth, Samsung Display will be showcasing tablet and IT solutions featuring high resolution, wide viewing angle and low power consumption, including a 10.1-inch WQXGA LCD panel for tablets, a 11.6-inch HD 16:9 LCD panel for tablets, a 13.3-inch HD Ultrabook™ LCD panel for notebooks (laptops) and a 27-inch QHD PLS (Plane to Line Switching) LCD panel for monitors.

Samsung Mobile Display's 55-inch 3D OLED TV panel offers a novel 'dual view' feature that allows customers to view two separate FHD (1920 x 1080) images simultaneously on a single TV screen by simply touching the function control on the accompanying shutter glasses with earphones.

Also at the show, Samsung Mobile Display will unveil the world's thinnest 4.8-inch touch sensor-integrated panel (1.92mm thick). The panel, 32 percent thinner than most LCDs , uses OCTA (On Cell TSP AMOLED) panel technology to provide a highly attractive alternative for mobile devices requiring an exceptionally slim design and high visibility. In addition, Samsung Mobile Display will open several of its leading mobile OLED solutions to the public at the SID event – each featuring high resolution and low power consumption.

Further, Samsung Display will be showcasing four leading-edge LCD panels for use as mobile, notebook and monitor displays. These include a high transmittance, high brightness 10.1-inch display with WQXGA (2,560x1,600) resolution, and Samsung's first 16:9 PLS LCD panel. Also being showcased are a 13.3-inch HD LCD panel developed for slim, premium notebooks using Intel's Ultrabook format, and a 27-inch QHD (2,650 x 1,440) PLS monitor panel that presents a high quality image with 99 percent of the Adobe RGB color space, free from the need for high-priced sensors and controllers.

Source: HDTV Mag

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Holy crap...1.92 mm? Does that even classify as a phone or is it just paper now?

Edit: Nevermind. Read it wrong. The DISPLAY is 1.92 mm. I was going to say.....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Is this part of their flexible display patent? I hope so because a display that thin would be prone to breakage if not. But this could be interesting.. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holy crap...1.92 mm? Does that even classify as a phone or is it just paper now?

Edit: Nevermind. Read it wrong. The DISPLAY is 1.92 mm. I was going to say.....

I think that is referring to just the display part of the phone. While a phone that thin might be possible someday, we aren't quite there yet. Still, to have the screen get this thin is pretty amazing!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that is referring to just the display part of the phone. While a phone that thin might be possible someday, we aren't quite there yet. Still, to have the screen get this thin is pretty amazing!

Yep. That's why I edited my post. I saw that and I immediately went to search Razr specs on how thin it was. I jumped the gun too early. LOL. I wonder how a screen this thin will impact damage-resistance?