Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Launched!

UNC

Reaction score
Why are trying to put down what everyone says? Just because you don't agree some things doesn't mean you can put down everyone else. With that attitude, why would we read your posts? And liked I said, there must be a good reason to use a so called 3 year old gpu. No one here works for Google so we can only speculate.

I'm not putting anyone down, I said you must not have bothered to read it, not that you can't comprehend... The link I posted tells why they used the chip, so its not speculation. This is supposed to be a "news" feed right? Not propoganda. So I'm spreading the news that this isn't even as fast as the SGS2. I guess I'm supposed to just cover my ears and say "la la la" while there is disinformation being spread. People that don't understand all the technical mumbo-jumbo want to know that they are getting the best product when they are shelling out hundreds of bucks, I'm letting them know that this isn't it. What is wrong with that? Better to know the limitations than assume you got the latest and greatest...

You guys are "hypebeasting", I'm being the voice of reason. The Rezound looks to be a better product. But whatever, doesn't hurt me for you guys to buy something that is already outdated, sorry you didn't want my input.

sb1831

Reaction score
There is nothing "so-called " about it, it is a 3 year old gpu, and yes Samsung had a reason... did anyone read what I posted? It clearly says the TI chip in the Galaxy Nexus is not compatible with the SGX543. Google forced them to use TI over exynos since TI is official Android partner right now. Doesn't make it stink any less. VZW gets another gimped phone. Evo3d > TB, SGS2 > Nexus, G2x > Revolution. Only moto gives VZW their top end products. With that being said, this still has better hardware than the antiquated processor in the Razr ... sadly.

I wish Apple would make an Android phone, A5/SGX543 crushes ALL of these setups by a huge margin, and does so using less battery by lowering the clockspeed.

Clockspeed does not = processing power, but I guess most people don't know that!

I really had to laugh at your post. I mean actually chuckled out loud when I read it. First you comply phones available on one network to those available to those on VZW. Two things I'd like to point out: One is that you're on DROID forums, a product line carried by VZW meaning that most people prefer the NETWORK of VZW over those of other carriers; the other is that unless all things are equal with regards to hardware, one can't even speculate what cpu performance, benchmarks and battery life would be. In short those phones don't matter.

I also absolutely LOVED how you called the processor in the RAZR antiquated. The processor in the razor became available in Q1 2011. How fast do you think that a handset can be developed and tested for wide scale release on multiple networks? 3 Months after a chip becomes available to manufacturers? 6 months after? The DroidX2 featured a CPU that was made available in Q1 of 2010. Even given the fact that Samsung produces their own in house chipsets do you think they'd be able to announce the Exynos 4212 in September and get it into the Galaxy Nexus in October? Let's be realistic and not delusional.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not putting anyone down, I said you must not have bothered to read it, not that you can't comprehend... The link I posted tells why they used the chip, so its not speculation. This is supposed to be a "news" feed right? Not propoganda. So I'm spreading the news that this isn't even as fast as the SGS2. I guess I'm supposed to just cover my ears and say "la la la" while there is disinformation being spread. People that don't understand all the technical mumbo-jumbo want to know that they are getting the best product when they are shelling out hundreds of bucks, I'm letting them know that this isn't it. What is wrong with that? Better to know the limitations than assume you got the latest and greatest...

You guys are "hypebeasting", I'm being the voice of reason. The Rezound looks to be a better product. But whatever, doesn't hurt me for you guys to buy something that is already outdated, sorry you didn't want my input.
And you believe everything you read on the internet?

Look, everything is going to be outdated so why worry about it? People get what they like, they don't care what kind of gpu it has. The people who are worried about having an outdated phone are the people that get a new phone every 3 to 6 months. It's not a concern for the rest of us who have other things to do besides worry about what's in out phone.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

My only issue with all of this is while, yes, these are both facts, there is still a degree of subjectivity involved here. When you say "not as fast" are you talking about "by the numbers" or actual experience. Will an app load faster on the SGS2 than on the Nexus? How do you know this for sure? The whole reason they went with the configuration that they did is because everything plays better together. Is it entirely impossible that, while the SGS2 has better numbers, the Nexus actually has better performance because all of it's hardware runs like the preverbal "well oiled machine"? And what defines something as outdated? If it still functions at a level that meets the demands of the consumer, is it outdated? Or does something become outdated as soon as the next generation of that item comes along? Are the B-52 Bomber or B-1 Bomber outdated because we have the B-2 Bomber even thought they are still two of the main workhorses of the Air Force?

We understand the point you are making, which is that the Nexus doesn't have the newest and most revolutionary hardware as some other devices, but what neither you nor I do know is how the hardware they went with will actually perform in actual use. Therefore, you are not helping people get the "best product" because there is no way yet to know which of these will be the best product just by looking at the quantitative statistics without having any qualitative facts to back it up.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We understand the point you are making, which is that the Nexus doesn't have the newest and most revolutionary hardware as some other devices, but what neither you nor I do know is how the hardware they went with will actually perform in actual use. Therefore, you are not helping people get the "best product" because there is no way yet to know which of these will be the best product just by looking at the quantitative statistics without having any qualitative facts to back it up.

My understanding was the "Nexus experience" was never meant to be the best, top of the line components, crammed into a Samsung body, and called a phone. I thought it was the best combination of available components, leaving the user with the best Android experience available.

Id much rather have a working (relatively) bug phone, than having all the top of the line parts trying to function.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Idk he makes a valid point...iPhone has worse specs but somehow always is smoother than Android devices. Even the 4 is faster than several dual core Androids.

mcjonesy

Reaction score
Idk he makes a valid point...iPhone has worse specs but somehow always is smoother than Android devices. Even the 4 is faster than several dual core Androids.

The reason for that is iOS. Think about it: iOS only has to play nice with a very limited subset of hardware combinations so it's a lot easier to make it as efficient as it is. On the other hand, there are a LOT more Android devices out there, it's infinitely more customizable, and it's open-source so you're free to screw it up however you like.

Personally I don't put much stock in benchmarks or which phone is faster unless I see them running the exact same software under the exact same conditions.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Has anyone played with an ip4s yet? It's not any faster than my debloated DB. Text app, email, games all open at the same rate of speed. My phone actually seems quicker because I can turn off those silly animations.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
The reason for that is iOS. Think about it: iOS only has to play nice with a very limited subset of hardware combinations so it's a lot easier to make it as efficient as it is. On the other hand, there are a LOT more Android devices out there, it's infinitely more customizable, and it's open-source so you're free to screw it up however you like.

Personally I don't put much stock in benchmarks or which phone is faster unless I see them running the exact same software under the exact same conditions.

That's why I will go with the galaxy nexus, because google developers seem to have developed the phone specifically well with ICS (in the same sort of way that apple develops iOS to match its hardware). They marry well together. So sure, other phones will get the update eventually, but they haven't been built specifically optimized for ICS, and that's where I think the Nexus shines.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
That's why I will go with the galaxy nexus, because google developers seem to have developed the phone specifically well with ICS (in the same sort of way that apple develops iOS to match its hardware). They marry well together. So sure, other phones will get the update eventually, but they haven't been built specifically optimized for ICS, and that's where I think the Nexus shines.

Not to mention custom kernals FTW!!

Vakharn

Reaction score
I'll admit I've been somewhat let down by the stats on the Galaxy Nexus (which should have been the Nexus Prime... marketing family be damned, it's a far catchier name). That said, this phone is still, in my opinion, the best phone on the market right now. We'll see how the Rezound stacks up, but I rather doubt it's going to be universally as good or better in all respects. There's always tradeoffs, and I'd say this phone makes relatively few of them.

Processor: The biggest thing that lets this phone down is its GPU. It's not "from 2007" as a misinformed previous link suggested. It wasn't available until early this year, and wasn't put in a device until this summer, also it's clocked higher in the Galaxy Nexus than in previous phones (384mhz on the OMAP 4460 as opposed to 304mhz on the 4430). Yes, the A5 chip is faster, but only when it comes to graphics processing, as the 4460 is a 1.5ghz chip, underclocked to 1.2ghz and has two slower cores on chip to handle more minor tasks to take some of the load off the main cores. So the iPhone 4S will probably outproform the Galaxy S2 in games. I don't know about you, but I don't play games on my phone, so this matters little to me unless it causes lag with video playback or browsing, which I don't think it will. Yes, things could be better in the processor department, but they're still pretty good.

Screen: The screen on the Galaxy Nexus *may* prove to be inferior to the screen on the Rezound, but that is yet to be seen. At the moment I think it's hard to deny that it is the greatest screen available on any smartphone in the world. Yes, the Retina display may have slightly better color reproduction, but it's tiny and the Galaxy Nexus' screen is also brighter. Yes, the Galaxy Nexus' screen is a form of the dreaded Pentile matrix, but given the phenomenal pixel density it boasts I highly doubt it will be noticeable. In the end it's the largest, brightest, highest resolution screen that will be available on a phone as of its release (as far as we know right now).

Camera: There's a lot of brew-ha-ha over the fact that the Galaxy Nexus only has a 5MP camera. I think that's utterly silly. My HD video camera only has a 3.3 MP sensor, and it takes absolutely gorgeous video and more than passable stills. As has been previously mentioned you can do a lot with 5MP and the quality of the camera matters far more than the pixel count. From what we've seen of its capabilities, which is admittedly not much, it does extremely well for a phone's camera, and the only way we'll know if it's as good as or better than the iPhone 4S's camera is to see some full resolution photos and video. The reason it's only 5MP is obviously so that they could offer the zero shutter lag they've been promoting so hard with this camera, which is something I don't think any previous phone's camera could do.

Connectivity: 4G LTE... what more needs to be said? Even if I loved apple I could not buy an iPhone 4S when it doesn't offer this technology.

Materials & Durability: This is an area where I think personal preference plays a large part. I feel that Samsung has proven that a phone doesn't need to be made from metal in order to be durable and a quality piece of engineering, but others disagree. No one can deny however that the Galaxy S II is a more durable phone than the iPhone 4/4S. The Razr may prove to be a better engineered phone from the standpoint of build quality, but I think it's hard to argue its superiority to the Galaxy Nexus in any other department.

Other features: The Galaxy Nexus is jammed with interesting & not so interesting extras (who cares about a barometer?). NFC may be useful or it may be a gimmick, it kind of depends on adoption. The lack of a built in HDMI port is disappointing but I very much doubt that this phone completely lacks HDMI out capabilities, and probably does so through the USB port as previously mentioned by other posters. The bluetooth 3.0 vs bluetooth 4.0 issue is mostly one of compatibility and convenience when it comes to devices like heart rate monitors and other jogging accessories like those special Nike sneakers. Basically as long as this phone has some method for HDMI output I think it's hard to fault it on extra features.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well written Vakharn. Like Truss said earlier, it will have HDMI out capabilities through the USB port. It's called MHL I believe. And I just have a few things to add.

I doubt the screen on the Rezound is better than the Galaxy Nexus screen because going by what HTC has put out lately, their screens have been sort of lackluster. I believe we'll be okay with the pentile HD SAMOLED display. I honestly have no problems with it now on my Bionic and I can see the screen in direct sunlight.

As for the camera, the megapixels really only matter if you make prints from the pictures you take and I don't know of anyone who gets prints off their phone's camera. It's silly because the sensors are small compared to regular digital cameras and are minuscule compared DSLR sensors. If you want prints, you get a real camera that takes quality pictures. 5mps is more than enough. I think everyone believes bigger = better and that's not the case. Megapixels are the size of the image, they don't determine quality.

Materials are definitely a personal preference. The iPhone vs Samsung drop test proved how durable Sammy's are.

I agree...why a barometer? As long as it didn't take up extra space in the build, I'm okay with it.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well written Vakharn. Like Truss said earlier, it will have HDMI out capabilities through the USB port. It's called MHL I believe. And I just have a few things to add.

I doubt the screen on the Rezound is better than the Galaxy Nexus screen because going by what HTC has put out lately, their screens have been sort of lackluster. I believe we'll be okay with the pentile HD SAMOLED display. I honestly have no problems with it now on my Bionic and I can see the screen in direct sunlight.

As for the camera, the megapixels really only matter if you make prints from the pictures you take and I don't know of anyone who gets prints off their phone's camera. It's silly because the sensors are small compared to regular digital cameras and are minuscule compared DSLR sensors. If you want prints, you get a real camera that takes quality pictures. 5mps is more than enough. I think everyone believes bigger = better and that's not the case. Megapixels are the size of the image, they don't determine quality.

Materials are definitely a personal preference. The iPhone vs Samsung drop test proved how durable Sammy's are.

I agree...why a barometer? As long as it didn't take up extra space in the build, I'm okay with it.

Well almost all the pics I print via my camera, and they always come out lab quality, and this is going back to the d1. Even 8 1/2 by 11. I use printershare via wifi and an HP printer.. now, when I asked about this on motorolas website this is the response I got, remember, I'm just the messenger here :)

Hello shadez69 and thank you for your post and feedback. I have followed the camera(s) on the Motorola Android smart phones since the introduction of the original Droid and I have spent many, many hours studying photos, EXIF data, technical specifications, etc. and I have determined (to my satisfaction) that the Motorola camera hardware is as good as many and better than most. It's the software that needs either serious tweaking or even being completely rewritten. Why this has not been addressed more extensively than it has remains a mystery. Zero (or nearly zero) shutter lag is completely possible on the existing phones as well as more exacting rendering of colors and low light photography, among other things. There has not been enough "squeek" on this wheel, IMHO, to have the camera firmware developers to take this issue more seriously. Hopefully, that will soon change. --- Dan (No Relation to our Dan)