Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Launched!

loki993

Reaction score
People that keep on knocking the phone for the processor, please keep in mind that it might not be the end of the world thing everyone is putting it up to me. The iPhone had a slower processor for awhile but was smoother because the system was optimized to work with it. Plus, the phone will be able to be taken to the full 1.5 potential with a new kernel. Further, yes, the Vigor and Razr have faster processors BUT they are going to be using extra power to run Sense and Motoblur. That DOES eat into your resources.

Please keep all elements in mind.

And Ill be able to root and flash the Razr or Vigor...err Rezound, stupid name BTW, Probably the day the launch. Then I flash a ROM using stock android and bam, no more Sense or Blur. The only advantage is that the Nexus may have an unlocked bootloader. Did they confirm that it would even be running vanilla andriod once it hits carriers, ie Verizon? I know we all expect that, but do we know for sure?

Yeah this phone being the supposed devs phone it is should get all the ROMs, but I bet the HTC phone will give it a run for its money too because they should release the source for the kernel right? Dont know about the Razr, but considering they're using unlockable bootlaoder for the euro ones is promising.

Add all that together and the Nexus stands out a lot less then it should have. Aside from the screen and the fact that its the first phone running ICS the specs are par for the course. Premier devices should have premier hardware. This is basically a bigger GSII with a better screen, maybe thats what it was supposed to be. I guess I was expecting a little more. Will it sway my decision? Not really, but if this phone had top end hardware, IE beating every other phone, it would be a must buy. Does it really matter? no, but still. As of not Im waiting till they all come out to see which one I like better.

sb1831

Reaction score
Does anyone other than me find odd that Google still doesn't have this listed as a dev phone? When something new hits they update their sites, especially their own products. The 4.0 SDK is available and this phone is not listed as a dev phone

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone other than me find odd that Google still doesn't have this listed as a dev phone? When something new hits they update their sites, especially their own products. The 4.0 SDK is available and this phone is not listed as a dev phone

I honestly think that the delay and movement of the announcement to Honk Kong has tripped up the team a bit which is why it seems like somethings were not talked about that should have been and some things are not rolling out as quick as we assume they should, like what you are talking about.

UNC

Reaction score
And I'm sure Samsung has a reason for using a so called "3 year old gpu." I'm sure they didn't just throw it in there for the heck of it. I know if the Bionic is using the same one then there must be something good about it. also, couldn't it have high definition out through USB? I know that's possible and I've seen it used once or twice but I don't know if that's the case here.

There is nothing "so-called " about it, it is a 3 year old gpu, and yes Samsung had a reason... did anyone read what I posted? It clearly says the TI chip in the Galaxy Nexus is not compatible with the SGX543. Google forced them to use TI over exynos since TI is official Android partner right now. Doesn't make it stink any less. VZW gets another gimped phone. Evo3d > TB, SGS2 > Nexus, G2x > Revolution. Only moto gives VZW their top end products. With that being said, this still has better hardware than the antiquated processor in the Razr ... sadly.

I wish Apple would make an Android phone, A5/SGX543 crushes ALL of these setups by a huge margin, and does so using less battery by lowering the clockspeed.

Clockspeed does not = processing power, but I guess most people don't know that!

wolfpackron

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here...

"It is because of the OMAP4460 processor that the Galaxy Nexus will only have the PowerVR SGX540 GPU, an antiquated beast from 2007 that can actually be found underneath the hood of last year’s Nexus S, and in the Droid Bionic. The SGX540 is very weak compared to the Mali-400 GPU found in Samsung’s Exynos SoC (the one that powers the Galaxy S II), and it’s positively snail-paced against the Apple A5′s SGX543MP2.
What this means is that the Galaxy Nexus is going to be slightly faster than the Droid Bionic, slower than the Galaxy S II by a small margin, and significantly slower than the A5-powered iPhone 4S. The Galaxy Nexus might have a larger, brighter, higher-resolution screen than the iPhone 4′s Retina display, but it won’t necessarily have the graphics chops to actually render OpenGL games at 1280×720 at smooth framerates."

-source

About ICS, will phones with 4 buttons not receive ICS? Will there be one button that does nothing on older phones?[/QUOTE]

UNC,
Do these listed comparisons include 4G or 3G? That would make a tremendous difference.
WolfpackRon.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is nothing "so-called " about it, it is a 3 year old gpu, and yes Samsung had a reason... did anyone read what I posted? It clearly says the TI chip in the Galaxy Nexus is not compatible with the SGX543. Google forced them to use TI over exynos since TI is official Android partner right now. Doesn't make it stink any less. VZW gets another gimped phone. Evo3d > TB, SGS2 > Nexus, G2x > Revolution. Only moto gives VZW their top end products. With that being said, this still has better hardware than the antiquated processor in the Razr ... sadly.

I wish Apple would make an Android phone, A5/SGX543 crushes ALL of these setups by a huge margin, and does so using less battery by lowering the clockspeed.

Clockspeed does not = processing power, but I guess most people don't know that!
Why are trying to put down what everyone says? Just because you don't agree some things doesn't mean you can put down everyone else. With that attitude, why would we read your posts? And liked I said, there must be a good reason to use a so called 3 year old gpu. No one here works for Google so we can only speculate.

loki993

Reaction score

Someone just to figure out how to port Android to the iphone lol. I know they've tried it and are supposedly still working on it, but I don't know if it'll actually ever happen to a point where it would be worth it. It would be so fun watching the iphone people cringe though when you show them their precious running android on it though.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone just to figure out how to port Android to the iphone lol. I know they've tried it and are supposedly still working on it, but I don't know if it'll actually ever happen to a point where it would be worth it. It would be so fun watching the iphone people cringe though when you show them their precious running android on it though.

iPhones would have to break the 4" barrier before I see that getting any traction...