Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Launched!

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
After watching Both This conference and the Motorola Conference. The Nexus will be my next phone... That is if it comes to Verizon.
you mean all this drooling and we're not even sure this phone will come to verizon? i thought this is a Verizon exclusive phone.

creaky

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious but do we know for sure that this phone has an unlocked bootloader?

screaminz2002

Reaction score
The presentation seemed more about ICS then the phone. I enjoyed watching it but I can't wait to see what pops up over the next few weeks. Definitely seems worth my upgrade and should be a good phone for the next two years..

alboboy10

Reaction score
There was no lag...that's normal when a phone is connected to a big projector. I don't even think the phone actually lags had something to do with the display

screaminz2002

Reaction score
you mean all this drooling and we're not even sure this phone will come to verizon? i thought this is a Verizon exclusive phone.

You have to wonder when the advertisement isn't up on Verizon's page along with the Razr. Is this simply because of no release date or something more?

Sorry just stirring the proverbial pot..

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
the SDK is all we need for the ability to build custom roms right. I forget from when gingy was released. But ne ways this pretty much guaranteed my upgrade will be used for that galaxy nexus!!

SDK's are for building apps that work under the new OS. Source code is used for building ROMs (AOSP).

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
You have to wonder when the advertisement isn't up on Verizon's page along with the Razr. Is this simply because of no release date or something more?

Sorry just stirring the proverbial pot..

ture, but the first bullet on the specs states that this phone is "LTE or HSPA+ - So it will work with several carriers - NOT NECESSARILY VERIZON EXCLUSIVE!"
so even if it's not a verizon exclusive, it will work on their network, right? and hopefully the price will be subsidized. $299 is too expensive as it is.

loki993

Reaction score
There was a lot new..the camera, the browser, face unlock, contacts, screen size, font and ton's of other stuff I can't even remember.

Aside from the camera all that is ICS which has nothing to do with the phone itself.

I'll just leave this here...

"It is because of the OMAP4460 processor that the Galaxy Nexus will only have the PowerVR SGX540 GPU, an antiquated beast from 2007 that can actually be found underneath the hood of last year’s Nexus S, and in the Droid Bionic. The SGX540 is very weak compared to the Mali-400 GPU found in Samsung’s Exynos SoC (the one that powers the Galaxy S II), and it’s positively snail-paced against the Apple A5′s SGX543MP2.
What this means is that the Galaxy Nexus is going to be slightly faster than the Droid Bionic, slower than the Galaxy S II by a small margin, and significantly slower than the A5-powered iPhone 4S. The Galaxy Nexus might have a larger, brighter, higher-resolution screen than the iPhone 4′s Retina display, but it won’t necessarily have the graphics chops to actually render OpenGL games at 1280×720 at smooth framerates."

-source

About ICS, will phones with 4 buttons not receive ICS? Will there be one button that does nothing on older phones?

And so why did they go with that GPU?

James9109

Reaction score
Well when this comes out I'm going to hold tight for a bit and see how the battery life is and read about other details people say before I drop full price on this one.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
People that keep on knocking the phone for the processor, please keep in mind that it might not be the end of the world thing everyone is putting it up to me. The iPhone had a slower processor for awhile but was smoother because the system was optimized to work with it. Plus, the phone will be able to be taken to the full 1.5 potential with a new kernel. Further, yes, the Vigor and Razr have faster processors BUT they are going to be using extra power to run Sense and Motoblur. That DOES eat into your resources.

Please keep all elements in mind.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure Samsung has a reason for using a so called "3 year old gpu." I'm sure they didn't just throw it in there for the heck of it. I know if the Bionic is using the same one then there must be something good about it. also, couldn't it have high definition out through USB? I know that's possible and I've seen it used once or twice but I don't know if that's the case here.

thirsty1258

Reaction score
Ditto with Bionic

Don't forget these are on Verizon who tends to hold up on updates. Tbolt gingerbread kinda ...... Moto does get updates sooner but these phones will get root and life moves on.

sent from my thunderbolt

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Good point. I am sure they have HDMI ability with this. Doesn't make any sense to have 1080p recording without it. Just need to settle back and wait for the rest of the info to release. I am not buying this big deal that people are making about the processor.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Don't forget these are on Verizon who tends to hold up on updates. Tbolt gingerbread kinda ...... Moto does get updates sooner but these phones will get root and life moves on.

sent from my thunderbolt

With this being a Google phone, it stands to get updates before any other Verizon phones in the line. Basically should be a straight line of information from Google on it.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

sent from my thunderbolt
Well that's because the updates usually have problems....remember the DX? That GB update had so many bugs I didn't hear an end to the complaints. Verizon does have good reasons for holding updates. If the manufacturers could get it right the first time Verizon sees it, then we wouldn't have a problem. People couldn't check their voicemail with the GB update for the TB. That's a big problem and a good thing Verizon pulled that update. Moto just seems to be a little better at updating their phones and getting them right.

Good point. I am sure they have HDMI ability with this. Doesn't make any sense to have 1080p recording without it. Just need to settle back and wait for the rest of the info to release. I am not buying this big deal that people are making about the processor.
Yeah I agree. If Google and Samsung worked on this together, then there was definitely a lot of thought put into this phone.