Samsung Demos Curved Displays as Well as the Likely Specs for Galaxy S IV Screen

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_4-99-inch_1080p_amoled-sgs4-display.jpg

CES is done for this year, and there were a few hits and misses. One of the stars of the show in 2013 was Samsung's Youm flexible AMOLED displays. The first models simply featured curved displays rather than the bendable concept that will likely come in the future, but they were still impressive. The other interesting bit of info that came out of these demos was that Samsung showed off the specs for their next generation of display that will likely become the screen for the Galaxy S IV. As you can see from the pic above, this next display in Samsung's portfolio is a 1080p 4.99-inch FHD Display with 440ppi, and it supposedly uses 25% less power than the previous generation.

samsung_youm_flexible_amoled1.jpg
samsung_youm_flexible_amoled2.jpg

There is no official word that this screen will be in the SGS4, but it is highly likely. There is also no word on whether this display will be using the Youm technology, but of course we will let you guys know as soon as we hear something. As far as Youm tech is concerned, here are a couple of pics above of concept prototypes using the flexible technology to create curved displays. Enjoy!

Source: SlashGear

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of having a curved screen for on screen controls or persistent phone/email/messaging buttons, thereby giving me more space for actual visuals. This is looking to be a very "neat" idea.

TatDroid

Reaction score
To me, far and away the biggest reason to get excited about this next generation of screens is: reduced breakage, and reduced power draw (for extended battery life). I love innovation - and the companies that innovate!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
samsung_youm_flexible_amoled2.jpg

An example of a great idea and poor execution, IMO. Looks very awkward and unnatural, like they took part of your screen and curved it because they can (and you still have bezel all around). I'd be worried about hitting those apps when swiping the screen with my thumb.

IMO, done right you have the standard right angle (no bezel) and then home keys and/or an app bar along the top edge (easy to remember where to hit for the four typical Android home keys).