Samsung Officially Admits Curved-Screen Flexible Display Device Coming Next Month

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-5-inch-curved-youm-prototype.jpg

The above pic is a Samsung proto-type which debuted at CES. It may not be indicative of the final shipping device.

The rumored flexible-display tech smartdevice coming next month from Samsung turned out to be dead on. At the official launch of the new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 event in South Korea today, Samsung’s mobile business head of strategic marketing D.J. Lee shared the company plans to introduce the first curved screen flexible display smartdevice. He said, "We plan to introduce a smartphone with a curved display in South Korea in October." It doesn't get much clearer than that, but Samsung still went a step further.

His statements were later clarified by Park Sang-jin, president of Samsung SDI, which is the conglomerate’s battery making division. Sang-jin indicated the device will be rigid and will have a unique design. Here's a quote,

As plastic liquid crystal displays are strong enough to neither shatter even when dropped on the ground nor need frames, it is possible to produce devices with unique designs.

Although this part was not confirmed, the newest rumors suggest this new curved, flex-display smart device will actually be a "limited edition" version of the Galaxy Note 3. Supposedly, it is still tough for Samsung to mass produce the new technology, so they are only planning to offer one limited edition curved GNote3 for every ten regular versions.

Hmmm... this could turn into quite the useful marketing gimmick for Samsung. Offering a limited edition rare version of the device could build even more buzz for the GNote series. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidAuthority

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Looks cool as heck, but I wouldnt want to be the first to try out new tech like this. Looks good for when i update from he note 3 this time next year though(unless the note 3 turns out to be that good).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Loved the curve glass with the galaxy nexus except when buying a glass screen protector for it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsungs answer to losing the trial where Apple patented "the rectangular device with rounded corners". I guess since they've put out the 5c now, Apple will now claim they own the rights to plastic and bright colors.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty interesting. I wonder if Verizon will carry it.

Sorry, I almost killed myself there while choking on my tongue laughing...

swc2001

Reaction score
And... why would we want that? seems very gimmicky to me. No real purpose as of yet.
Now if you were to have somthing like Minority reports huge screen..... maybe but not for a tiny phone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is why Samsung will remain top dog in the Android space for some time. They lead....

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was always a rumor that samsung was going to release a limited edition GNote 3, but that's all it's ever been. At one point someone had speculated that the Limited edition Gnote 3 would also have a metal backing to it, to give it that extra 1 up many people are looking for in design. If there is a Limited Edition GNote 3 that has the new screen technology and has a metal backing.. It will be sold out within minutes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And... why would we want that? seems very gimmicky to me. No real purpose as of yet.
Now if you were to have somthing like Minority reports huge screen..... maybe but not for a tiny phone.

Not to be a killjoy, but I am with him ^. Why would I want a screen that curves away from me at the edges (convex)? If anything, I might want a screen that is concave - curves toward me at the edges on the top and bottom but only while in landscape, or better the entire screen curved in a slight parabola to mimic a movie theater's screen. Still, I wouldn't want a very steep curve, just subtle enough to gain the effect, but not to impede viewing and using the screen in portrait view. In other words, no curving on the sides while holding in a portrait orientation.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to be a killjoy, but I am with him ^. Why would I want a screen that curves away from me at the edges (convex)? If anything, I might want a screen that is concave - curves toward me at the edges on the top and bottom but only while in landscape, or better the entire screen curved in a slight parabola to mimic a movie theater's screen. Still, I wouldn't want a very steep curve, just subtle enough to gain the effect, but not to impede viewing and using the screen in portrait view. In other words, no curving on the sides while holding in a portrait orientation.

I would really hope that the phone in the picture was more of a concept of what "could" be done with the technology.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not seeing the point except for bezel-less screens and the unbreakable part. A screen curving away that content rolls over would be extremely irritating.

I like the idea of a traditionally shaped phone where you could have capacitative buttons along the bottom or side of a flexed display.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score

Isnt that ^ similar to what the galaxy nexus has? (except the gnex is concave i believe, but similar idea?)
And i think their whole point right now is to show that they can make consumer phones utilizing the flexible display, and to show how they work, and the durability. Maybe in the near future they will add a custom feature to touchwiz that can make use of a display curved over the edge of the phone similar to the picture (perhaps a custom notification bar that allows more detailed info than led lights can provide?)

WestOkid

Reaction score
I would be concerned about the scratching plastic screens, lack of practicality and function. However buying this phone will allow you to be a cutting edge guinea pig.

That said, I do wish Samsung took more time to polish form and function before they release tech. Look at their Smart watch. They got it to market quick, but their own executives are saying it lacks "wow" factor. They will use feedback from customers to make it better. Really? Am I paying $300 dollars for the privilege of joining Samsung's R&D department?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

wardo

Reaction score
It's pretty cool. I wonder how it feels hands on

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
While I would never own a Sammy device I have to admit that is pretty cool looking. How it translate into real world use remains to be seen.