Samsung & LG Flexible Displays Coming in October & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flexible-OLED-display-UCLA.jpg

Just last week we reported that a Samsung exec confirmed a new Galaxy product would be coming in October with Samsung's first curved flexible display technology. There was also a rumor that the device might be a new "limited edition" version of the Galaxy Note 3. However, some new intel out of Korea suggests that Samsung is beginning mass production on 5.5-inch flexible displays for an unknown device. Since the GNote3 is a 5.7-inch phone, this new rumor seems to refute the previous one. Could this be a completely new Samsung product, or could the "limited edition" GNote3 simply be a smaller version of the GNote3. Right now, this new intel only leaves more questions than answers.

That isn't all we have on the subject of flexible displays. LG is supposedly ready to jump in the game next month with their flexible tech as well. According to the source of this info, LG is planning to launch a new flexible display device in October alongside Samsung and they area already set to produce 35,000 plastic flex panels per month.

Both reports have something in common as well, and this is something which has been reported previously. The first devices with this technology will not initially come with bendable displays, but will simply be lighter and unbreakable because of the plastic materials. Despite this, the future of bendable tech is just on the horizon, and in fact, it might only be a few years before we also see stretchable flex displays in devices. Here's a quote with a few more details on the subject, and you can see a pic of the prototype above,

Still, the future will bring bendable OLED displays, according to EE Times, which recently spoke to UCLA researchers. The researchers have demonstrated two small prototype displays that are “bendable, foldable, and stretchable while operating, surviving over 1,000 trials of stretching 30 percent larger than their original shape and size.”

Source: UnWiredView

combatmedic870

Reaction score
"surviving over 1,000 trials of stretching 30 percent larger than their original shape and size."

This isnt all that good. When bending, the screen will stretch.

If they came out with a limited edition note 3 with a 5.5 inch screen in an even smaller body with the same size battery. I can tell you, I dont think I would be all that happy with them. I would much prefer a smaller 5.5 inch note 3 limited or....F series....or what ever, vs a 5.7.

I really hope they dont make a mistake and dilute the Note series. Alot of people like myself, like that theres only release one a year. Gives you a year to love your device with out feeling something new and better is out and you dont have it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The future is a display that can unfold or unroll to expand to tablet size. Me want

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That was awesome! They made an improved version of it in the movie Red Planet with Val Kilmer.

red-planet-map-display.jpg