Samsung Counters LG: Thinner & Lighter Flex Display Devices Maybe Coming This Week

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;HU2nG9qy6vs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HU2nG9qy6vs[/video]​

LG may have fired the first shot in the flexible display world, but frequently it's the more potent/accurate shot the counts the most. In this instance, Samsung has countered with their own announcement of flexible display technology, but theirs is not only thinner and lighter, it is also likely coming sooner. According to the latest reports, Samsung has officially confirmed their own flexible screens are also entering mass production; however, Samsung's seems to be much more refined than LG's. Samsung's plastic displays will measure only 0.12 millimeters thick, and weigh only 5.2 grams. Compared to the LG display thickness (at 0.44 millimeters thick and 7.2 grams), Samsung has them beat by an order of about three times in thinness and half the weight. Additionally, LG’s flexible panel can be bent around a circle of a 700 millimeters radius, while Samsung’s has a 400 millimeters bend radius, making Samsung's display more flexible as well (smaller is better in this instance).

Samsung's new flex tech will be used in a 5.7-inch display size initially, and Samsung can potentially ramp up production to about 8,000 sheets per month, which which equates to roughly about 1 million 5" panels a month at 100% yields. Obviously, this is an upper limit and will not reflect the actual realized potential. Additionally, according to the latest intel, Samsung is actually poised to announce their first device "within days," so we are likely to see their stuff sometime this week or early next week.

Above is an old video from January 2011 when Samsung first started showing off their flex-tech plastic displays. Of course we will keep you guys informed as soon as we hear more.

Source: PhoneArena

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I really wonder how usable a flexible display would be IRL. Samsung's demo this year of having notifications on the side was nifty. However, I don't see something like what was in the movie Red Planet really working out well for most tasks. Imagine people trying to do one handed operations with that not to mention messing with that while driving. Some part of it will have to be solid like in this 2011 video to house the battery and electronics. There's only so far flexible PCBs and/or circuitry can go for now. Perhaps something that went over the wrist or most of the forearm.

My Note 3 is rocking my boxers for now. Beyond the cool new tech factor; I don't see myself drooling over some phone with a flexible display. Still waiting for the day to be able to interact with floating 3D holograms like in FF: Spirits Within.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's biggest uses will not be on phones. Anything that might benefit from a wider viewing angle could benefit from this. Imagine a tv/monitor that has a wider viewing angle in a waiting room, airport, whatever.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate