[Rumor] Samsung May be Ready to Launch Flexible AMOLED Displays this Quarter

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-flex-displays.png

According to industry sources, Samsung may already be prepping to launch flexible AMOLED displays for devices by as early as this quarter. Over the past year, we have shared several stories related to Samsung's breakthrough flexible display technology, but this is the first time we have seen any news indicating that it could be coming soon.

There is one caveat to this new release though. According to the same industry insider source, the initial run of flexible displays will still be protected by a sheet of glass over the top. The bendy and rollable kind will have to wait until the future. This same report indicates that Samsung is working toward making all of their future displays from the flexible tech without the need for a covering of glass by 2014. Also, Samsung is still planning to launch its first plastic-only fronted flexible display, (called the Youm display), by the end of this year.

The main advantage offered by this technology in the interim is that it will allow them to shrink the total display size down from 1.8mm in thickness to just 1mm in thickness. This will make devices lighter, thinner, and more energy efficient.

Source: The Verge

Eric18

Reaction score
I hope it doesn't take that long!! Hopefully the latest Christmas of 2013 for Flexible YOUM type of gadgets without the glass and limitations!! It feels anymore that Companies wait to Release Tech. for 5 years, I mean really it should only take 2 years to put on the market most since most tech is tested for 2-3 years without notice.....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the need for glass over top. Maybe has something to do with the inner mechanical parts not being as flexible, which could be the real challenge at this point. Thinner is cool, but I look forward to the day we can say good-bye to protective cases. There's nothing wrong with the size of, say the Nexus, until you slap a protective cover on that thing.