Samsung Debuts Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, with Dual-core, both Thinner than iPad2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxytabthin.jpg

The live CTIA event kicked off this morning and Samsung showed off its new competition for the iPad2. They officially unveiled their Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets. As it turns out, not only are Samsung's tablets thinner than the iPad2, but they also are sporting dual-core processors to boot. They also have Honeycomb and an improved version of Samsung's TouchWiz UX. Several previewers are actually saying that the TouchWiz enhancements improve the experience with Honeycomb. Go figure...

The two tabs are just .33mm thick, compared to the iPad2 .34mm. Samsung confirmed there will be WiFi versions of both devices. We've even got some info on pricing and availability. The WiFi 10.1 will arrive June 8th. The 16GB version will cost you $499 and the 32GB $599. The 8.9 is $469 and $569 for 16GB and 32GB, respectively. No word yet on availability for the 8.9. Engadget has a slew of additional pics on these.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Engadget

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Yes! Finally, a tablet that can compete with the iPad2 on price, size, and power! Now I feel more justified in hating the iPad2 :p

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wait, wasn't it the Samsung exec two weeks ago who said their tablets sucked? Or was it Toshiba? Not it was Samsung, right? Was that some kind of twisted reverse psychology? Cuz these guys looks great.

-Matt

Haloman800

Reaction score
If this has an unlocked bootloader, I'll be all over it.

If it doesn't, I'll keep dreaming about the Xoom.

SkullOne

Reaction score
The 8.9 is exactly what I've been looking for in a tablet provided I can ROM it with a clean Honeycomb and no TouchWiz crap.

Need it to run the interface (XMBC) for my future HTPC project after I finish the man cave in the house the wife and I just bought. :D Access to fast e-mail or a quick web browse is just a bonus. ;)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Liking this. And lets not hate on Touchwiz just yet. Also read on Engadget it will have re-sizable widgets. Looks like Motorola actually did something good with Blur last year...lol

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Thin is cool, but when are they going to make these things foldable? :biggrin: I mean the first thing you do when handed an 8 x 11.5 piece of paper is fold it. The only issue I have with thin is that you have to continually adjust how you hold the device because after a while your hand cramps up. I'm not as concerned with the thickness of the device as I am with overall performance and battery-life.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Liking this. And lets not hate on Touchwiz just yet. Also read on Engadget it will have re-sizable widgets. Looks like Motorola actually did something good with Blur last year...lol
Good point. I'm not sure I get the whole love-hate thing going that people have for layered UIs. It must be based on principle...here's my theory: if you're a "don't tread on me" type, you want vanilla, or the ability to customize at will. If you're not, you're OK with built-in customizations.

OK, that probably doesn't explain anything. I still don't get why it stirs up so much emotion. What makes even less sense to me, though, is why Android phones aren't designed with a customize on/off switch (basically like desktop themes), so you can have it either way. That'd be cool, and make EVERYONE happy.

-Matt

AlexSB

Reaction score
Thin is cool, but when are they going to make these things foldable? :biggrin: I mean the first thing you do when handed an 8 x 11.5 piece of paper is fold it. The only issue I have with thin is that you have to continually adjust how you hold the device because after a while your hand cramps up. I'm not as concerned with the thickness of the device as I am with overall performance and battery-life.

I like the way you think lol foldable tablets would be AMAZING. Only thing is mobile phones would become obsolete.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I like the way you think lol foldable tablets would be AMAZING. Only thing is mobile phones would become obsolete.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
Didn't you guys see the futuristic Corning glass video posted here a week or two ago? Apparently we already have foldable touchscreen displays. ;)

-Matt

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i thought these things didn't even power on?
and lets be honest, if apple made the ipad out of plastic i'm sure it would be thinner.

but it is nice seeing a tablet compete with apple on size unlike the xoom, but i still don't understand why tablets cost so much more then netbooks..