S8 and S8+ review thread

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is the place to compile reviews for the S8(+) so those in the market will have a central location to get a variety of perspectives to help them in making their choice.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

lisalisa13

Reaction score
So is this the right place to ask note 5 vs S7 vs S8? Have the note 5 right now and torn on which to get

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So is this the right place to ask note 5 vs S7 vs S8? Have the note 5 right now and torn on which to get

You may want to wait for the note 8 if you are a note fan. The s8 is just a picture of things to come for the note. I expect Samsung to beef up the battery a little more and possibly use the note 8 to debut the projects that didn't make it on the s 8. One project I'm interested is the fingerprint reader being under the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Thanks! I considered that as well. I probably will wait till it comes out then, I'll have yet another choice lol. I had the s2, then the dreaded bionic. After that went to s3 I think then jumped to note series. Price may play a factor in the end, will have to see how much more the note will be this time around

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Expect it to cost around the same price as the S8+.

Though I pay for my phones outright (i buy unlocked Google phones like the Nexus that I can take anywhere) I wouldn't fault (actually I would almost encourage) people for saving up $200-$300 for a phone down payment and put the rest on them installment plans and see if you can get a deal out of it. Get them to throw in some accessories and money off your plan.

If you go with the 12-18 month payment plan you will be inline for the next upgrade.

^Do the above if you are really happy with your carrier and you are not planning on moving to another state or region in a year or changing carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Yeah did the payment plan last time around, will probably have to do that again, never thought about asking for a price break or accessories though, that's a great idea. Been with Verizon for YEARS they should give me something for that right ?! Lol

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah did the payment plan last time around, will probably have to do that again, never thought about asking for a price break or accessories though, that's a great idea. Been with Verizon for YEARS they should give me something for that right ?! Lol

This is how I look at it, the carriers make their money off the plan, not the phone. I try and push the line as far as I can while being fair.

But be willing to have to go through talking to someone on the phone.

What I actually did 2 years ago was wait for Best buy and bought a phone with a $200 gift card. Bought the phone outright on a best buy card. Used the $200 to drop the price and paid the rest off.

In fact I talked about that on this forum.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
When you make a voluntary down payment on a phone that is going on a device payment with the carrier, it does not lower the length of time you are making payments. It simply lowers the monthly cost of your payment. Because the payment is interest/finance fee free, there is no advantage to putting a down payment unless you just want to see a lower cost per month.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you make a voluntary down payment on a phone that is going on a device payment with the carrier, it does not lower the length of time you are making payments. It simply lowers the monthly cost of your payment. Because the payment is interest/finance fee free, there is no advantage to putting a down payment unless you just want to see a lower cost per month.
Depends on the carrier and plan. When I go into att I can choose either the 12,18, or 24 month plan. 12 month will require a larger down payment than the 24 month plan.

Correction: looks like they may have removed the 18 month.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They removed the 18 from their site but 12 and 24 are still there.
3500fb9bef4cd4a9517003e9bf6bea13.jpg

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Depends on the carrier and plan. When I go into att I can choose either the 12,18, or 24 month plan. 12 month will require a larger down payment than the 24 month plan.

Correction: looks like they may have removed the 18 month.

They removed the 18 from their site but 12 and 24 are still there.
3500fb9bef4cd4a9517003e9bf6bea13.jpg

There is still no down payment being made on the phone. And the total time for payment is 30 months or 24 months. A voluntary down payment is still not shortening the amount of time you are paying for the device, it is simply lowering the amount of each payment. The only thing a down payment is shortening is the amount of time until you can trade in the phone and upgrade again.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is still no down payment being made on the phone. And the total time for payment is 30 months or 24 months. A voluntary down payment is still not shortening the amount of time you are paying for the device, it is simply lowering the amount of each payment. The only thing a down payment is shortening is the amount of time until you can trade in the phone and upgrade again.
me thinks many still see the payment plans like credit card revolving credit and not like the interest free term loans that they are. The monthly payment term can change with putting money up front but the length terms stay the same, no matter the amount per month.

biggles

Reaction score
From the limited reviews thus far it seems the S8 has good battery life and the best screen ever. On the flip side, fragile due to edge screen (needs a case) and the usual Samsung and carrier bloat.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Had a play with an S8 and an S8+ yesterday and both make anything going before look like an antique. But the price, gulp.