S7 and S7 Edge Home Button Scratch Gate!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
O.k. its your decission. ;). If I buy a car, and the paint peels off after 3 month ..... o.k. .. the peel is of but the car drives me form a to b ..... and of course me Samsung Galaxy S7 edge compares to the following car brand ...

:D
Yeah, I hear you and feel (what I perceive to be), your sarcastic pain. I don't agree that it's acceptable but just that it is likely the position they would try to take.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Certainly that wouldn't fly with the exterior paint on a car but it could be argued if it were the coloring on the leather seats for instance.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Seems like a terrible design flaw by Samsung. After 2 years my S5 home button shows no wear whatsoever. I rarely use the fingerprint reader, but I do use the home button a lot.
I would suggest using your insurance to file a claim, but you'd get a replacement that would probably do the same thing. Have you looked online to see if there's a third party replacement home button that would work on your S7?

S5 tap'n

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
Yeah, I hear you and feel your sarcastic pain.

Dear FoxKat

.. sarcastical pain ... oh no .. you definitely misunderstand me :). My 800€ mobile works fine. It is just the ugly home button, which have scratches, after the first look and completly lost the surface after using it .... the rest is working fine. :(

My guess is it's totally cosmetic and since it doesn't play a role in normal operation it would be considered under the"normal wear and tear" exclusion in the warranty. It might be difficult to get Samsung to ever honor this as a manufacturer's defect in material or workmanship.

A mobile should not "work" only, the "surface" material used and the workmanship quality aspects does not differ from any other product!

BR slowmotion2016

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Dear FoxKat

.. sarcastical pain ... oh no .. you definitely misunderstand me :). My 800€ mobile works fine. It is just the ugly home button, which have scratches, after the first look and completly lost the surface after using it .... the rest is working fine. :(

A mobile should not "work" only, the "surface" material used and the workmanship quality aspects does not differ from any other product!

BR slowmotion2016
OK, so perhaps I did misunderstand but if you had been sarcastically expressing your utter dissatisfaction I would still be totally with you.

And yes, the thing shouldn't just work good but also should look good for the expected or target lifespan if not for several years beyond. I'm not excusing the issue, just saying that I expect Samsung will try to.

And I thought I made that clear with my car paint or leather coloring analogy. Perhaps the analogy sent the wrong message. In the end, a recall of this magnitude for such a relatively minor flaw is highly unlikely and would be extremely cost prohibitive for them. The costs for shipping to and from the consumer, to engineer and manufacture replacement buttons that are durable and with coatings that will last longer than 3 months, for the distribution of suitable replacements and to disassemble and replace all those buttons, all told could easily be many millions. I could see them fighting this in court for much less, and even a class action lawsuit which were settled could be significantly less expensive and probably result in them sending out $20 gift cards to all affected owners (those who jump into the class action), other than the primary or lead plaintiff(s).

Last edited:

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
OK, so perhaps I did misunderstand but if you had been sarcastically expressing your utter dissatisfaction I would still be totally with you.

No! You didn't misunderstand any thing.:D. Only Samsung did misunderstand me !!!

I'm not excusing the issue, just saying that I expect Samsung will try to.

I my case they did it: ... self caused visual damage. No warranty by us. :mad:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so what started out as ugly is looking much better but it's not done yet.

Here's how it looked originally.

513dc3a004cd2abcc72e31b18a6ed3d9.jpg

I decided to try a car clear coat scratch remover.

e47595cd356f61b328468f2bb70cf6e4.jpg

This is a bit thicker than I would have liked. It didn't flow and self level as well as I had hoped but it's not bad for the first coat. You'll notice all but the very deep scratch are essentially repaired and at first glance it looks pretty good.

40056955c5d4356fd59de8714ce1e618.jpg

c28af604a04860f8c907860cb52a3c7a.jpg

You'll notice a bit of an uneven edge at the bottom right of the last picture. This is because it is thicker and so I couldn't get it to flow evenly without going over the bezel edge. In the pictures above the button is right side up but this last photo is upside down.

Still I have to do a second coat to fill in that big nick and scratch. Hopefully I can resolve that slightly uneven edge I mentioned. I may try to dilute the clear coat with additional Toluene try make it flow easier.
df23fc8a50d0be6b862c4c22c2a9f090.jpg
3355001492428692da72630f0b2daea3.jpg

The recent pictures are with a macro lens and the last two are with the flash set to torch.

Last edited:

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
Hi FoxKat,
looks really good. The square pattern is still completly present. Think you have luck.
With manufacturer warranty, I have had no luck, but with the seller warranty I got a brand new S7 edge.
So I'm happy too.
BR slowmotion2016

Last edited:

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
my home button of the replacement device after two month:

P1050900.JPG

BR slowmotion2016

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My Note 5 is a year old and home button is in perfect condition.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Love ya Foxy but I think your a bit outta yo mind with the "microscopic abrasives" trapped in the grooves of your thumb being anywhere close to a possible cause of a damaged home button.