S7 and S7 Edge Home Button Scratch Gate!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Samsung finally decided to give us a premium built phone with the Galaxy S6 last year. The all metal and glass design appeased those who scoffed the plastic builds of years gone by. Glass also meant wireless charging was a possibility. Thankfully the design language continued with this years Galaxy line up.

While Glass and metal are great to look at they do have their cons. Firstly glass ensures greasy smudges will always grace your device. That problem is easily solved by slapping a wrap or a case on the phone which in turn covers up the beauty of the design. Besides smudges glass is also known to shatter when dropped. Once again easily fixed by rocking your favorite case. The one thing that most of us were not expecting on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge was the ease at which the Glass would scratch.

I picked up a deep nasty scratch on the front of my device within the first few days with no recollection of how it could have got there. Now several S7 users are noticing that a mere month later their home buttons are developing noticeable wear. Apparently the home button is especially prone to scratching.

My personal S7 has zero scratching on the home button. Who knows hopefully this issue is limited to a few devices. Last year a batch of Galaxy S6 Edge devices were shipped with hexagonal shaped scratching. My S6 Edge never had that particular issue. Be careful with that home button folks!

via PhoneArena

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ghost Glass sells a home button glass button protector for my Note2 that's made from the same practically bomb proof material as their screen protectors. I wonder if it'll be available for the S7. It was like $2, maybe $3 .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ghost Glass sells a home button glass button protector for my Note2 that's made from the same practically bomb proof material as their screen protectors. I wonder if it'll be available for the S7. It was like $2, maybe $3 .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Will the fingerprint reader still work properly with the button protector on?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Good question.. I think it should as glass shouldn't distort the scan...

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen this for the S6, not S7. I wouldn't imagine it happening unless you have a steel thumb.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I use Supcase on my Note 5, it has a built in screen protector that also extends over the fingerprint reader. Never once have I had a problem with it reading my finger.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use Supcase on my Note 5, it has a built in screen protector that also extends over the fingerprint reader. Never once have I had a problem with it reading my finger.
Great information! Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've seen this for the S6, not S7. I wouldn't imagine it happening unless you have a steel thumb.
Having a steel thumb isn't all that unrealistic. Our fingers are very porous and also have ridges and valleys (fingerprints), which trap microscopic abrasive particles which we collect off of things we touch. These particles also stick to our skin due to the natural oils on our skin. It's these tiny abrasives that turn our fingertips into mini Emory boards and this in turn can scratch almost any surface. Do this hundreds of times on the same small area of a glass surface and you wind up with the scratching you see in the image above. This is not much different than the arcing scratches your windshield wipers impart on the front glass of your automobile from wiping minute abrasive particulates back and forth across the windshield.

It's also due to the fact that the button is raised rather than recessed, making it more susceptible to scratches. That in combination with the earpiece which is also raised actually helps keep the screen from getting scratched since together they keep the screen glass raised slightly if the phone is laid on its face.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Here's the button on my newly acquired pre-owned S7.

2b8b118b75c4a79e8055d88e0f574b50.jpg
c22dae6fd89801605c274c3fed562f3c.jpg
4e963c5651dc0b1c4b72c323e2f45b5b.jpg

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
Hi FoxKat,

it is not clear visible in the picture. Do you have a lot of hairline cracks?
In my case, i have had al lot of hairline cracks in the center.
Now the surface chips off step by step

BR.

Last edited:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Wow, I don't have that on mine. The AT&T S7 comes with a protector on the home button. It's obviously something Samsung knew about from the start

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, it seems like the buttons on the S7 should be very much the same as the home button on the note. I wonder what they did differently on the S7? On my Note 5, I must touch or push the home button a hundred times a day (unlock, read my fingerprint, go back to home, etc). It still looks like new.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hi FoxKat,

it is not clear visible in the picture. Do you have a lot of hairline cracks?
In my case, i have had al lot of hairline cracks in the center.
Now the surface chips off step by step

BR.

No, they are not cracks, just scratches and scuffs of varying degrees.

slowmotion2016

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7 edge
This is my home button after 3 month using it:
Bild-3-160526.jpg

Perhaps you can see the black lines? This are some of the bigger one of my hairline cracks. The others smalller one are not visible in the picture. I don't know why. In the picture they are black, in reality they are "milky" white.
BR slowmotion2016