S4 or S5?

Joe Droid

Reaction score
Just about time to upgrade, mid May specifically. I currently have a Razr Maxx. I was going to upgrade to the new Droid Maxx, but there are just too many things I don't care for: No SD card, no HDMI output, etc etc. So, my wife has an S4 and she loves it. When the S5 came out, I started doing my just research. Basically what I have figured out is that the S5 is just a fancy S4 with a bunch of stuff that nobody can get to work or needs. Other than perhaps a longer lasting battery, I'm not sure why I need to go to the S5 (not to mention the current huge difference in cost).

So, anyone that just upgraded from the S4 to the S4 or has knowledge of the differences, lead me to the right choice.

OP
Joe Droid

Joe Droid

Reaction score
Guess I should have asked this in a different way. I really like my Razr Maxx, but it's finally showing it's almost 2 year old life span. Responds slowly and the like. But it's still fairly solid, just think I should get something newer as I think it's about done. The link above is more about upgrading a Samsung product. My Maxx does a lot of things that the Samsung doesn't and I'm having a hard time thinking that either the S4 or S5 is my answer. Like my original post, the Droid Maxx is not my answer.

Sorry for the rant. Just looking at what's the best choice.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I always opt for the latest and greatest. But that's me. If you feel the S4 will suit your needs, then save the $$$. If you need more power, dust and waterproof, nicer screen with better battery life. Then it's an S5. You can also look at the HTC M8 or the new OnePlus as well.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Just upgraded from the S4. The S4 was a fantastic phone. Great speed, features that kept going and going, very light, decent build, high end camera, and was perfect for me. I however dropped it and even though it was perfectly functional the screen cracked. Upgrade or just replace? I upgraded. The S5 is a little heavier with a back that isn't slippery like the S4. I "thought" the S4 was fast till I got the 5. It surpasses the 4 quite a bit. There is a lot more memory. Both the 4 and 5 are 16 gigs, but there was so much bloat ware on the 4 it cut the memory down to about 8 gigs and that was out of the box. The 5 had 11 gigs upon unboxing. The 5 has a water resistant design up to a meter of water for 30 mins, although many reviews have pushed these limits further. The 5 feels less "gimmicky". A lot of the extra features on the 4 were not really practical such as scrolling with your eyes and so on. The 4 almost seemed like a cool toy where as the 5 feels like a high tech device. I personally would shoot for the 5 but both are great in there own respects.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Just upgraded from the S4. The S4 was a fantastic phone. Great speed, features that kept going and going, very light, decent build, high end camera, and was perfect for me. I however dropped it and even though it was perfectly functional the screen cracked. Upgrade or just replace? I upgraded. The S5 is a little heavier with a back that isn't slippery like the S4. I "thought" the S4 was fast till I got the 5. It surpasses the 4 quite a bit. There is a lot more memory. Both the 4 and 5 are 16 gigs, but there was so much bloat ware on the 4 it cut the memory down to about 8 gigs and that was out of the box. The 5 had 11 gigs upon unboxing. The 5 has a water resistant design up to a meter of water for 30 mins, although many reviews have pushed these limits further. The 5 feels less "gimmicky". A lot of the extra features on the 4 were not really practical such as scrolling with your eyes and so on. The 4 almost seemed like a cool toy where as the 5 feels like a high tech device. I personally would shoot for the 5 but both are great in there own respects.
Thanks for sharing.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I have a Galaxy s4 and s5 and I have to say the Galaxy s5 just blows the s4 out of the water. People who say it is a nominal upgrade are simply full of it. The S5 is faster the camera is AMAZING and touchwiz is finally fixed to not be awful.

S5 is worth it. I bought it off contract for $600 and I still think it was worth it.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Guess I should have asked this in a different way. I really like my Razr Maxx, but it's finally showing it's almost 2 year old life span. Responds slowly and the like. But it's still fairly solid, just think I should get something newer as I think it's about done. The link above is more about upgrading a Samsung product. My Maxx does a lot of things that the Samsung doesn't and I'm having a hard time thinking that either the S4 or S5 is my answer. Like my original post, the Droid Maxx is not my answer.

Sorry for the rant. Just looking at what's the best choice.
...and that's why there are so many phones to choose from. Sometimes the hardest part is choosing the right one for you. I watch reviews, get thoughts from others, and play with different phones in stores before I buy. Most people will have their phone for 2 years.

Good luck in your search! Look around the DF...we have a section for pretty much anything you want to look into. Drop back here and let us know what you end up with.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Well said, Tank.