s4 or s3?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you upgraded on her line, and then xfered it to your number? If thats true, then no. Your contract has since expired. You could simply upgrade your line if you want, and get a new phone. It would put you both under contract until hers expires in December, but wouldn't require her to have a data package, unless she has a smart phone too.

I'm confused about upgrades like this. I upgraded to my Inc2 12/19/11, using my wife's upgrade, so that extends the contract to 12/19/13. My line has an upgrade available since 4/26/12 and hers will have an upgrade available on 8/19/13. She has a basic phone. If I use my upgrade now, we would have both phones on contract for a smartphone. Could she still keep her basic phone or would she need to go to a smartphone and data plan until the 12/19/13 contract is up from the Inc2 upgrade?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I'm confused about upgrades like this. I upgraded to my Inc2 12/19/11, using my wife's upgrade, so that extends the contract to 12/19/13. My line has an upgrade available since 4/26/12 and hers will have an upgrade available on 8/19/13. She has a basic phone. If I use my upgrade now, we would have both phones on contract for a smartphone. Could she still keep her basic phone or would she need to go to a smartphone and data plan until the 12/19/13 contract is up from the Inc2 upgrade?

you can use the upgrade now no problem and you wouldnt have both phones on contract for a smart phone. when you get the new phone they will have you sign for another 2 years, basically eliminating the remaining contract on your current phone.
i used 4 upgrades in one year before they killed unlimited :) every new contract signing just negates the last, and any responsibility you had to it.

Murker

Reaction score
Ahhh, glad I did a search on this topic, as I'm planning to upgrade my phone on Thursday, 8/8 and switch to a shared plan so my mom can get her first smartphone. =P

For myself, I'm using my HTC Rezound still and the phone has been good to me, even though this is a refurb since part of the touchscreen went out on my original, but according to the website I can at least get $30 trade in credit. So my decision was whether to go with the S3 or the S4 and since I have never owned a Galaxy phone, I think I'm just going to go right to the S4. Most people I know, have S3's and love them.

My mom on the other hand is in her 60's and has never owned a smartphone and marvels and the stuff I can do with mine, lol. We went to look at the phones at Best Buy last week just so she could get a feel for the size and weight of the phones. She liked both, but when she saw the price of the S4, she said she would be fine with the S3. I started the argument between the 2 and I got shot down in under 30 seconds. I love a good debate, but I can't put in a good effort when it comes to mom. :hail:

So now I'm super stoked about a new phone and then showing mom how much she can now do with her phone. Thanks for all the great info!

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm going from a Bionic to a S4 also. I am so sick of the Bionic I could shoot it repeatedly, then throw it out a truck window at 60! I just worry about the rear speaker harmonics/sound waves resonating though the body and the smaller than Bionic with extended battery life will be on the S4. I'm also getting the Droid Maxx (New one) next month. Will the amount of issues and replacements I've had. I forced Verizon to swap me from the Bionic to the S4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm going from a Bionic to a S4 also. I am so sick of the Bionic I could shoot it repeatedly, then throw it out a truck window at 60! I just worry about the rear speaker harmonics/sound waves resonating though the body and the smaller than Bionic with extended battery life will be on the S4. I'm also getting the Droid Maxx (New one) next month. Will the amount of issues and replacements I've had. I forced Verizon to swap me from the Bionic to the S4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums
Battery life on the s4 is great. I never owned a Bionic but from what I've heard the battery on it wasn't too great either, so I'm sure the s4 battery life will impress you.

DesiDroid

Reaction score
S4 comes with an optimized Exynos Octa-Core which eats up all the competition. Enough reason if I were you!

On a second thought, give the Nexus 4 a look as well. Android experience at its purest!

bbtkd

Reaction score
Battery life increased notably going from my Bionic with extended battery to an S4 with normal battery. Regarding the Nexus 4, just be prepared to give up 4G/LTE.

DesiDroid

Reaction score
Yeah that's a hiccup. But I am hoping Nexus 5 will change all that!

xmguy

Reaction score
Battery life increased notably going from my Bionic with extended battery to an S4 with normal battery. Regarding the Nexus 4, just be prepared to give up 4G/LTE.

Yeah I've had the S4 for 3 weeks now. Aside from some display quality issues. The battery life seems solid. I have 2 OEM 2600 mAh batteries and Samsung external charger. So I always have juice. Better than carrying around a POS Bionic that was slow as the winter is long and a battery+phone that feel like it came out of 1999 not 2009.

I'm liking the S4. Minus its support for voice and data over 3G (SVDO).

Sent from my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 using Droid Forums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah I've had the S4 for 3 weeks now. Aside from some display quality issues. The battery life seems solid. I have 2 OEM 2600 mAh batteries and Samsung external charger. So I always have juice. Better than carrying around a POS Bionic that was slow as the winter is long and a battery+phone that feel like it came out of 1999 not 2009.

I'm liking the S4. Minus its support for voice and data over 3G (SVDO).

Sent from my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 using Droid Forums
What display quality issues are you referring to?

tkileh

Reaction score
S4 comes with an optimized Exynos Octa-Core which eats up all the competition. Enough reason if I were you!

On a second thought, give the Nexus 4 a look as well. Android experience at its purest!

Only international version comes octacore all carrier version is quad core.

Sg4