Bluetooth Not Connecting To My New S4

phil72

Reaction score
I never had any issues with my S3 or iPhone automatically connecting, but since I've added my s4 I get a lot of nothing it just sits. If I turn my bt off & on then click on the car stereo it usually connects, but that's a huge area we were in yesterday.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I never had any issues with my S3 or iPhone automatically connecting, but since I've added my s4 I get a lot of nothing it just sits. If I turn my bt off & on then click on the car stereo it usually connects, but that's a huge area we were in yesterday.

Not sure what you are saying when you mention a huge area. Have you been able to pair them, or have they never been able to pair? If they haven't, perhaps your car stereo only remembers a certain number of devices and can't learn any more until you delete some old ones. If you're saying they were paired once, but are unreliable then do a one minute battery pull on your S4 and try it again. Try pairing the S4 to something else such as a headset, to verify operation. If you're running a power saving app like Juice Defender, turn it off.

Malkavian

Reaction score
I'm with bbtkd. I know my vehicle, which has an older Sync system in it, was programmed to only remember 5 paired devices. Once you hit the 5 you had to start deleting older devices you don't use anymore.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Never had any issues with my cars with a stock BT HU. I have an aftermarket one and that one had always given me problems from the start with older phones too. Try setting up BT again, that may fix the issue. Many times it can be the HU and not your phone as I've come to experience.

OP
phil72

phil72

Reaction score
I'll try to redo the setup and see if that helps, I've only got 2 devices running bt on the deck but I'll check to make sure. Thanks Phil

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The S4 has had problems the BT with my 2005 Prius. This is the first BT phone that has done it. Sometimes it's great and other times, although it's paired, I have no sound. Not bad enough to get an aftermarket BT, but still.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I'll try to redo the setup and see if that helps, I've only got 2 devices running bt on the deck but I'll check to make sure. Thanks Phil

Another thought is that there could be an update to your stereo that might have improved Bluetooth compatibility. For instance, if you have a recent Dodge/Chrysler then I may be able to point you to the latest firmware. Sometimes companies send out update DVD's as Chrysler did for me a few months after I got my 2012 Durango. But they never sent any of several subsequent updates, so I found the latest online, cut the DVD's and did the update myself. Your updates could be available online, otherwise you would have to get the dealer to do it.

Malkavian

Reaction score
Ford does the same for the sync system. There is actually a usb port to connect a usb device do the system or for updates.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bbtkd

Reaction score
Ford does the same for the sync system. There is actually a usb port to connect a usb device do the system or for updates.

Chrysler/Dodge also have a USB port that you can use a flash drive in to update, but there have been reports of radios being bricked by a USB error. Though slower it is reportedly safer to use DVD, though still possible to get a DVD error.

OP
phil72

phil72

Reaction score
The s4 has been connected to my car the issue is that more often than not it won't connect to the car & say connected on the phone, just says paired. I have the Smart Gear watch and it connects no problem when I've used it, the car & the watch were connected at the same time and had no issues.
I think I'll pull the battery and do a fresh pairing to the phone, try that and see what happens. Thanks

Alextodd

Reaction score
The s4 has been connected to my car the issue is that more often than not it won't connect to the car & say connected on the phone, just says paired. I have the Smart Gear watch and it connects no problem when I've used it, the car & the watch were connected at the same time and had no issues.
I think I'll pull the battery and do a fresh pairing to the phone, try that and see what happens. Thanks

Problem is not with your S4 it's with your car's stereo. Please read user's manual of your car stereo and check which type of Bluetooth connections types are supported and then check the bluetooth connection type your phone is offering. That's the only problem. Most old car stereo bluetooth are not supported by new device's bluetooth.

JRParsons

Reaction score
My s3 was recently updated and I was experiencing the same problem. No problems with the pairing, but I would be driving and notice my phone never connected when I got in the vehicle. I unpaired and re - paired, it has not happened since. It's only been a week so I can't definitively say the problem is solved. I have a 2012 f150 with the Sony Nav.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Malkavian

Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes after an update I need to re-pair some devices.

OP
phil72

phil72

Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes after an update I need to re-pair some devices.

I've got a 2013 Elantra so the stereo isn't old it's got up to date bluetooth software etc. I get in a nd the phone says paired always but I have to physically tap on my device to connect then it state's connected for music etc. I think I'm going to totally remove it from the stereo and start with a fresh connection & see if that helps, it's just a pain having to reconnect everytime I get out for gas etc. hopefully this will work. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

Alextodd

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 Elantra so the stereo isn't old it's got up to date bluetooth software etc. I get in a nd the phone says paired always but I have to physically tap on my device to connect then it state's connected for music etc. I think I'm going to totally remove it from the stereo and start with a fresh connection & see if that helps, it's just a pain having to reconnect everytime I get out for gas etc. hopefully this will work. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

You are welcome! :).. I guess than this automatic re-connection feature is not offered by S4, else I don't find any apparent reason for this issue. I hope you will be able to get over this thing soon!