S4 Notification issues

seven9four

Reaction score
So I got my S4 on VZW and there's only one real issue that's bugging me.

I use gmail and hangouts (previously google talk) apps on my phone. I want to get notifications of new messages, however I don't want it to vibrate when I get these notifications. Now, I've gone into the app settings individually, and in both unchecked "Vibrate". Whether or not this option is checked in the apps, my phone still vibrates when receiving an email or chat.

The other part of this is that I do want it to vibrate when I receive a text message. So basically, turning down the system's notification vibration doesn't really help me. It seems to be either all or nothing (vibrate for all notifications, or vibrate for none).

My old android phone (RAZR MAXX) had no problem doing this, and yes, I'm probably being picky, but still. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know of a fix (besides rooting)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Perhaps someone has a more simple solution, but my first thought would be to try out a third party SMS application? Probably not the most desirable option, but it seems like it would do the trick.

DevonM

Reaction score
Perhaps someone has a more simple solution, but my first thought would be to try out a third party SMS application? Probably not the most desirable option, but it seems like it would do the trick.
I'd say if you can't figure out why it's not cooperating, give SMS Popup a try. I just started using it recently and it's really awesome, I love being able to set custom tones and vibrations and whatever else for different contacts.

OP
seven9four

seven9four

Reaction score
thanks for the replies!

Actually, I figured out how to stop gmail from vibrating (for some reason selecting 'silent' for notification sound in gmail worked). Now I just have to figure out how to silence hangouts.

greyatog

Reaction score
thanks for the replies!

Actually, I figured out how to stop gmail from vibrating (for some reason selecting 'silent' for notification sound in gmail worked). Now I just have to figure out how to silence hangouts.

Bumping this because I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem and can't seem to find any information on it.

OP
seven9four

seven9four

Reaction score
Bumping this because I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem and can't seem to find any information on it.

Yes, I was able to fix this doing the same thing as in Gmail. Make sure in the settings for Hangouts, under "Sound" select "Silent". That's what worked for me, hopefully it works for you too.