s4 being throttled?

americanz

Reaction score
so i have an s4, stock unrooted, will root if needed lol. i have had the same verizon plan for about 4 years. and that would include unlimited data that is not offered. they keep calling and emailing me to upgrade my phone once i upgrade(sign a new contract)the unlimited data is gone... my phone isnt that old, have gotten new phones without getting a contract for a 3 years or so.. my girlfriend has the s4 stock unrooted as well, she however does not have unlimited data.we can be side by side and she has full 4g. and mine will be 1x, 3g, or no signal. at any random time. happens a lot. any chance that verizon is throttling my account so i will be forced to upgrade? abnd if so is there any thing i can do about it? other than upgrading lol

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
so i have an s4, stock unrooted, will root if needed lol. i have had the same verizon plan for about 4 years. and that would include unlimited data that is not offered. they keep calling and emailing me to upgrade my phone once i upgrade(sign a new contract)the unlimited data is gone... my phone isnt that old, have gotten new phones without getting a contract for a 3 years or so.. my girlfriend has the s4 stock unrooted as well, she however does not have unlimited data.we can be side by side and she has full 4g. and mine will be 1x, 3g, or no signal. at any random time. happens a lot. any chance that verizon is throttling my account so i will be forced to upgrade? abnd if so is there any thing i can do about it? other than upgrading lol

It's extremely unlikely. My guess would be that your phone is experiencing some sort of problem. If it's software related, it sounds like the sort of thing that might need a factory reset in order address.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
You can also try downloading OpenSignal and comparing your phone to your girlfriend's phone to see if you are connecting to the same tower.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I would do a SIM pull procedure to reset the radio as well.

Turn phone off....remove SIM card....Turn phone on...wait 5 mins...Turn phone off...Re-insert SIM...power on!

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also...This could be a provisioning issue if that dies not fix your issue

OP
americanz

americanz

Reaction score
thanks guys but i have tried the battery and sim pulls, to no avail. also tried a factory reset. i used to be into rooting and roms, but havent done anything since my Bionic. anyone recommend a good rom for the s4?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would try to reflash sick completely on the device to see if that fixes your signal issues. I would use odin to accomplish this and see what happens! ;)