What's new
DroidForums.net | Android Forum & News

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching lines and keeping unlimited

Rewire Desire

New Member
I know this has been covered ad nauseum, but if you have a moment please hear me out:

When the S4 came out I rushed out to upgrade from my Droid Bionic with the 2yr renewal price. I lost my unlimited plan but figured 2gb would be enough. Basically that evening I started getting nostaglic about my unlimited plan and realized I had messed up. So long story short I spoke with some people at the verizon wireless corporate office and was able to return my S4, revert back to my Bionic and keep my unlimited data. I really liked the S4, hence my question...

I've been reading that it is possible to keep unlimited AND receive the 2yr contract price on the S4. There are several lines on my account due for renewal that I could use too. Thus I want to be 110% sure I have this down correctly, because if I mess up it will be next to impossible to crawl back to verizon and ask them to restore my unlimited for a 2nd time. Keeping unlimited is paramount to me, because I feel as time goes on these unlimited data plans will become more and more valuable (not in a monetary sense, but rather in terms of usefulness - assuming Verizon doesn't kill the unlimited plans off entirely).

So, tell me if this is correct: upgrade a regular line on the account to a tiered data plan for a 2yr renewal for the S4. Keep that phone on that line for a few days. Then go back to the store (or perhaps a different store - will/should I expect the rep at the verizon corporate store to give me a hard time doing this?) and have them cancel that data plan and move the S4 to my line which has unlimited. Is that correct?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to first remind you of our forum guidelines(which are in my signature) as we are family friendly.. No bypassing or language inappropriate.. Also we have a thread here to follow .. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=245502
upgrade unlimited data question?


In a short version you can go to Verizon put upgrade on non smartphone line.. I've had it activated by reps in NY for a minute.. Then switch phone to your unlimited line.. And return other line to non smartphone.. Non data..



Noted 2x~4 beta
 
Last edited:
Yep. You can use a upgrade line to get the renewal price, then switch the new phone to your unlimited line, but you must keep the line active for another 2 years by pitting a dumb phone on it. So you will still need to pay the monthly fee for the additional line.
 
Thanks for the replies and to bkdodger for re-opening the thread, and my apologies for the language.

My concern lies in whether or not a rep at the corporate store will be cooperative in the line swap, or if I will need to play dumb and go back several days later to swap the phone to unlimited line saying something along the lines of "Oh, the S4 was for my mother, but she doesn't like it so I'm going to switch it to my line, kill her tiered data feature and put back on her old phone". Upgrade swaps have been done for years well before the unlimited plan went away, so I see no reason why a rep should give me a hard time. Also, I figure waiting a few days then swapping the phone will reduce the chances of the system killing my unlimited data plan.
 
No worries.. Thank you for PM.. And I respect a good member always going about it the right way here..

Definitely keep us posted.. You should be straight up.. Don't let them take charge.. You tell them.. Bkdodger sent me..

Then proceed.. I want this phone here on mom's flip line.. Hook it up for a few minutes.. Then put it on my line.. Keep me unlimited no questions asked... Can I get you a latte while I wait... Hehe

NotedHD
 
Thanks. I plan to do the upgrade later today, let it sit on that tiered line for a few days, then switch it to my unlimited line. I've read about people swapping sim cards but that doesn't sound necessary(?).
 
No worries.. Thank you for PM.. And I respect a good member always going about it the right way here..

Definitely keep us posted.. You should be straight up.. Don't let them take charge.. You tell them.. Bkdodger sent me..

Then proceed.. I want this phone here on mom's flip line.. Hook it up for a few minutes.. Then put it on my line.. Keep me unlimited no questions asked... Can I get you a latte while I wait... Hehe

NotedHD
I agree with every bit of that except the last part, which should read, "Can YOU get ME a latte while I wait?" LOL

Yeah I wish I had that much chutzpah. ;)

I second the thanks for keeping the thread open -- my situation/sensibilities are comparable to the OP's and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

-Matt
 
I lost my unlimited as well used an early upgrade from one pf the other phones in my plan. You can go back to the unlimited plan if you return the phone???
 
My question is do I have to have the two dummy phone lines added to my account before I proceed with doing the upgrade/switch? Currently I do not have them added.
 
It's easy like bk stated just upgrade a non smartphone line. Then go home and swap sim cards between devices, and down grade the previously upgraded line back to its old phone.

I did the same thing last weekend. I still have unlimited data but also a nice new S4.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.
 
My mother and I have separate verizon accounts. She has 2 lines on her account, one is her smartphone, and the other is my old number that she converted to a netbook data plan once i got my own account. if she upgrades her netbook to a smartphone she could then give me said upgraded phone to me w/ no problems right....?

also

does anybody know if you are allow to swap upgrade dates between accounts/lines still? and if so would that be an alternate way to move your upgrade date to another account, then upgrade, then swap sims back to your desired "grandfather" unlimited plan?

forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered before, ive been searching, and i just didn't see (yet) the specific questions i have. thank you!
 
My mother and I have separate verizon accounts. She has 2 lines on her account, one is her smartphone, and the other is my old number that she converted to a netbook data plan once i got my own account. if she upgrades her netbook to a smartphone she could then give me said upgraded phone to me w/ no problems right....?

yes

also

does anybody know if you are allow to swap upgrade dates between accounts/lines still? and if so would that be an alternate way to move your upgrade date to another account, then upgrade, then swap sims back to your desired "grandfather" unlimited plan?

forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered before, ive been searching, and i just didn't see (yet) the specific questions i have. thank you!

you can swap between lines on the same account no problem, i have never heard anyone claim to do it across accounts.
 
sweet! follow-up question: i haven't yet understood whether its confirmed that you have to activate the phone on the "dummy" line before swapping it to the "grandfather line"? is this so, or can u just swap the sim cards out the box?

and as for swapping upgrade dates between accounts, ive only HEARD of it being possible, not seen it or actually know of it, but this was info attained back in the days when u could simply just buy an unlimited plan...not this post-apocalyptic, skynet, life-hack craziness... lol sorry for the rant..

and thanx for the prompt help!
 
sweet! follow-up question: i haven't yet understood whether its confirmed that you have to activate the phone on the "dummy" line before swapping it to the "grandfather line"? is this so, or can u just swap the sim cards out the box?

and as for swapping upgrade dates between accounts, ive only HEARD of it being possible, not seen it or actually know of it, but this was info attained back in the days when u could simply just buy an unlimited plan...not this post-apocalyptic, skynet, life-hack craziness... lol sorry for the rant..

and thanx for the prompt help!

yes, you have to activate it on the dummy line first.

np, happy to help :)
 
last question, then i'll be a pro at this!!! how long does the new phone need to be activated on the dummy line? 5min? a day?

thanks >9000!!!
 
Back
Top