S3 Poor Reception

tc1

Reaction score
Still torn- the phone itself is a great device, but it makes me sad/mad when I see 1-0 bars in areas where I used to have 2-3 bars. I don't make calls a lot, but when I do, I want it to work.

I'll wouldn't be too discouraged by how many bars you see.

My htc rezound would show full bars but the dBm would read - 95(not a great number).

My S3 shows full bars the vast majority of the time, it gets less at my building at work(which is 50 years old and I'm behind multiple cinderblock walls) but the dBm stills is around - 73.

Short story... Less bars doesn't necessarily mean weaker reception.

OP
T
Reaction score
I doubt Sandy has any effect with my reception in Michigan, and my calls always drop in the same area. It's because of the lousy antenna in the GS3.

kparks

Reaction score
samsung has some of the weakest radios! almost anyone u ask will tell u HTC and MOTO get the best reception and the least dropped calls even if ur in a great coverage area u get random dropped calls i cant wait to sell my S3 and get the HTC DNA im still kicking myself for selling my TBOLT! tho i did just recomend the razr maxx HD to a coworker and a NOKIA lumia another he said he is just going to get what i get HAHA and the other one is picking up the lumia 810 for tmobile NOKIA music is awesome!:happy3:

kparks

Reaction score
I had a s2 and upgraded to s3. Never had a problem with the signal on s2 at home but with the s3 I have no coverage at all. It's really annoying at times!!
if u dont have service at ur house i would deff recommend taking the phone back to the store!

OP
T
Reaction score
After reading multiple reviews, I think I'm going to go ahead and exchange my S3 for the Maxx HD. Nice phone, Samsung, but I just can't have such weak antennas when I live in a semi-rural area. If not for the dropped calls, I most likely would hold on to this phone.

carguy

Reaction score
Haven't dropped one call yet since I've had my S3 (month or so) in the Metro Detroit area.

music life

Reaction score
I haven't had any dropped calls either. Reception is much better on my s3 than my x2. I think people just get it in their heads that certain companies always have certain problems. To date I've tried all companies except HTC and tbh Sammy has them all beat with the s3. I bought the s3 with the mindset that if it had 1 major problem it was getting returned the day after I found out for the maxx, well I still have it :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, my dropped calls were all in my head. If I would have just had a more positive attitude, my optimism would have boosted my signal ten-fold. I've never owned a Samsung and therefore have no preconceived notions of Samsung phones. My observations are based on my own experience, and the signal strength in areas that I spend time in on a daily basis is definitely weaker to nonexistent with the GS3. Take it for what you will. If you have no signal issues, then congrats to you and enjoy your GS3.

OP
T
Reaction score
Dropped three calls in four days. I'm not dissing on your phone- it just isn't great for my area in Southeast Michigan. If you have strong signal in your area, by all means keep the GS3. It is a very nice phone.

alboboy10

Reaction score
music life said:
I haven't had any dropped calls either. Reception is much better on my s3 than my x2. I think people just get it in their heads that certain companies always have certain problems. To date I've tried all companies except HTC and tbh Sammy has them all beat with the s3. I bought the s3 with the mindset that if it had 1 major problem it was getting returned the day after I found out for the maxx, well I still have it :)

So far I'm talking out of experience. The s3 for me has worse 4g coverage than my nexus which was already decent to begin with.

I'm assuming it has to do with hurricane Sandy though because I get 3g in some places where with my nexus I had full 4g. And when I do a speed test it pings to New Jersey locations.

The one thing that's amazing on this phone is battery. Even under use it's great.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I used to have amazing 4g service in my home with my Maxx and never really saw 1x with the X2. I spend more time on 3g and 1x with the S3 in this house than I care to mention. Out of the 3 phone calls I have had with the phone in as many weeks, I have dropped 1 call and the phone still showed 2 bars of signal. Plus, I've been getting A LOT of non-sent text messages. I never had that problem with any of my other phones. I have NEVER dropped a call with the Motorola. Phone calls aren't all that important to me, since I rarely make them. But not having internet and having so many failed text messages is really irritating me. If Motorola had a better camera, I would go back to my Maxx. *sigh* lol

kparks

Reaction score
jackiescivic said:
I used to have amazing 4g service in my home with my Maxx and never really saw 1x with the X2. I spend more time on 3g and 1x with the S3 in this house than I care to mention. Out of the 3 phone calls I have had with the phone in as many weeks, I have dropped 1 call and the phone still showed 2 bars of signal. Plus, I've been getting A LOT of non-sent text messages. I never had that problem with any of my other phones. I have NEVER dropped a call with the Motorola. Phone calls aren't all that important to me, since I rarely make them. But not having internet and having so many failed text messages is really irritating me. If Motorola had a better camera, I would go back to my Maxx. *sigh* lol
I got 3 letters for u.. HTC! Sell both do urself a favor and get the htc dna! ;)