S3 Poor Reception

Reaction score
I picked up the S3 after bricking my Motorola Bionic. The phone and screen are nice, but I'm dropping calls and have very little signal in areas where I never had signal issues with my Bionic. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I'm contemplating getting a different phone since I have 30 days to return this one if I don't like it.

tc1

Reaction score
The s3 probably does have weaker radios than a Motorola.

I just got one also and it does seem to be a little weaker than my HTC rezound.

Not a deal breaker though since this phone is freaking awesome.

Edit.

Actually the reception is only weaker in certain buildings(cinderblock walls, etc) , outside its perfect.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Samsung has always had a weaker radio compared to Motorola. I easily had 3-4 bars of service in my dead zone of a house with my Maxx, and am lucky to hit 2 bars with my S3. My HTC Incredible hit 2 bars iirc. I'm receiving a weaker wifi signal as well with the S3 as compared to the Maxx.

OP
T
Reaction score
jackiescivic said:
Samsung has always had a weaker radio compared to Motorola. I easily had 3-4 bars of service in my dead zone of a house with my Maxx, and am lucky to hit 2 bars with my S3. My HTC Incredible hit 2 bars iirc. I'm receiving a weaker wifi signal as well with the S3 as compared to the Maxx.

So why did you switch from the Maxx? I was thinking about exchanging this phone for the Maxx HD. The S3 is a pretty sweet phone, but if you can't make calls from your phone, what's the point?

OP
T
Reaction score
tc1 said:
The s3 probably does have weaker radios than a Motorola.

I just got one also and it does seem to be a little weaker than my HTC rezound.

Not a deal breaker though since this phone is freaking awesome.

Edit.

Actually the reception is only weaker in certain buildings(cinderblock walls, etc) , outside its perfect.

I dropped calls twice this morning on my way to work- no walls involved.

menudo18

Reaction score
Mine dropped three calls the other day maybe ten total since I bought the phone. My droid x never dropped a call. Verizon sent me a new phone and SIM card.

jwilly216

Reaction score
I haven't dropped a single call with mine but Detroit has a very strong 4g signal.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG!!!!!!!:icon_ devil:

I just traded my Bionic to my coworker who spends all day in the office. He could not use his S3 due to constantly dropping calls, texts that wouldn't send, calls he would miss(just get a voicemail notification-no ring). I am outside mostly and it works pretty well for me. I do notice that where my Bionic would have poor signal the S3 is much worse. I am fine with it though because it is such a fantastic device, I also think it has a lot to due with software.....On several occasions I have had it drop calls and say no network available while showing 1-3 bars of 3g in the status bar. I hope that JB will help, I guess we will see.

Oh, and Happy Halloween!!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
TechnologicallyChallenged said:
So why did you switch from the Maxx? I was thinking about exchanging this phone for the Maxx HD. The S3 is a pretty sweet phone, but if you can't make calls from your phone, what's the point?

I switched because I had camera envy lol and thought I wanted the latest and greatest. I don't talk on the phone much, I do much more testing and Internet, so I didn't think it would be much of an issue. I still have the Maxx, so I could easily switch back and sell this one

music life

Reaction score
I always have good signal with my S3. Never dropped a call. Usually have full 4G.

Also my dad says my phone sounds more clear when i talk to him. Says my X2 sounded like crap and he was amazed when i called him on my S3.

OP
T
Reaction score
Still torn- the phone itself is a great device, but it makes me sad/mad when I see 1-0 bars in areas where I used to have 2-3 bars. I don't make calls a lot, but when I do, I want it to work.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well, I will say I seem to have one or two less bars, but I always still have at least 2 and as far as I'm concerned.....it works just fine. Still hear others clearer than my Rezound and no dropped calls. So I don't care if it doesn't look as full, if it acts as full I'm good to go. And my room also usually has pretty poor service, so if it works in here....should work most places.

maureensmc

Reaction score
I had a s2 and upgraded to s3. Never had a problem with the signal on s2 at home but with the s3 I have no coverage at all. It's really annoying at times!!

alboboy10

Reaction score
Mine is switching to 3g a lot. It might have to do with sandy too though up here in NY. Maybe towers are down