S-Off Achieved proceed with caution

hoboX10

Reaction score
Okay, I'm a bit confused. What exactly does this S-Off thing accomplish?

We can already root the phone, installed custom kernels, and installed custom ROMS, right? What else could S-Off possibly give us?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a bit confused. What exactly does this S-Off thing accomplish?

We can already root the phone, installed custom kernels, and installed custom ROMS, right? What else could S-Off possibly give us?

I touched on it above. Custom HBOOT, splash screens, radios. And I can't think of anything else. Oh and with S-Off you can go backwards as well as forwards with firmware. Also you don't have to flash ROM and kernel separately.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had s-off on my inc2 and modding was just easier than it is with the HTC Dev unlocking method. Like said above loading up new radios, firmware, and kernels will be a lot easier now.

....but I did brick my phone once during the s-off process and lost recovery too, but was able to boot into hboot screen and push Amon Ra via cmd prompt and reload a rom (I had to format the sdcard first)

I would say make sure you know how to do the following before even trying to s-off

- How to flash Amon Ra recovery to your phone via cmd prompt on a pc computer

- Have a micro usb adapter for your pc, in case you need to format your sdcard

- Know how to manually get into hboot and have an unlocked phone via htcdev

Last edited:

hoboX10

Reaction score
What is an hboot? Lol. And wow, you really can't go back to OTA once you do a custom rom without doing S-off?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is an hboot? Lol. And wow, you really can't go back to OTA once you do a custom rom without doing S-off?

Hboot is the bootloader. Its where everything boots from. If your hboot gets messed up your phone is bricked. We can manually get into hboot on htc phones to issue command like installing custom recovery and/or get into custom recovery if your phone is in a bootloop.

S-off can be a little risky cuz it gives you total control over everything. One needs to be very very careful when doing things after s-off is achieved. Its easier to flash radios, kernels, firmware, etc but its also easier to brick if you do something wrong.

You can go back to the stock rom if you flash a ruu or have a backup. I dont think s off changes that.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

Depending on what you mean by going back to OTA.

If you're on the ICS leak and the ICS OTA comes out and it's a lower version number than the leak. You can't go back to GB firmware without S-Off
If you're on the ICS leak and you want to go back to the GB RUU. No good without S-Off

Basically the premise here is that with S-On you can only go forward. With S-Off, you can go backwards as well.

Alphaman

Reaction score
Got S-off in 2 tries......only took 15 minutes to get the S-off,.....but my phone didn't go past the HTC screen initially...took me about 45 more minutes to get the recovery flashed and the phone booted again. The scary part was getting the phone revived again after I had S-off!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that you have s off, you can install amon ra recovery through hboot now instead of pushing it through cmd prompt on a pc. There is a specific file out there for doing this.This comes in handy when custom recovery is lost by installing new firmware.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Last edited: