S-Off Achieved proceed with caution

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok as some of you may know by now, S-Off has been achieved. And let's say this procedure is not for all. The link below spells out how to perform the S-Off operation. I think operation is a good term for it considering you have to short out part of the system to obtain it.

[url]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1612035

[/URL]
The links below are for the S-Off FAQ and "What to do" after S-Off.

[url]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1612693][FAQ] S-Off - xda-developers

[/URL][/URL]Now having put this information out there, I'm going to go on record to say that I'd advise against doing the procedure if you don't have phone insurance. I don't know that damage caused by this procedure will be covered under warranty by Verizon or HTC. I personally won't be performing this unless absolutely necessary to my wants/needs. Any discussions of S-Off or it's procedure should be held under the assumption that each person is responsible for their own device and that any advice given for said procedure is not the responsibility of the person(s) giving advice or of DroidForums, but rather the responsibility of the device holder.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First I have to say good job to the developers a. With that said, like Mr. Smith I will not be doing that method either. I am able to do everything I want to do with my rezound with safety on. And until they get RIL working it will not matter because that is the issue they are having with CM9 on the rezound.

Last edited:

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Thanks for being the voice of reason. I've been following that forum also, and shake my head at the number of people that seem to be jumping on this so quickly. I was nervous enough rooting my first Droid without having to use jumper cables.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
This s-off stuff took me just about all day. It was frustrating. But some people got it done quickly. So its hit or miss I guess. Make sure the files are in the same directory as your fastboot and adb.

sent from my rezound

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Wow at the method.. I'm curious as to how many phones they bricked in getting the process down lol. Hopefully there were some major donations behind that one. I'm with a few of the others here... I hardly even use the HTC dev unlocked capabilities of my phone (waiting on a killer ICS rom ala BAMF non-preview build or CM9). For some reason with my D1 I was always changing stuff.. with my rezound it stays primarily untouched (still on the STOCK ROM!). It's been nice not losing/backing up & restoring for an eternity all of everything every time I felt like changing rom's for the latest and greatest lol. Guess I'm becoming tame as I age :p

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
What is s off?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Basically there are two levels of unlocking:

S-On (Security On) - Allowed by HTC via HTCDev.com unlocks your system and boot partitions but keeps the radios and some other features locked

S-Off (Security Off) - Typically found on developer phones allows full system access.

HowardZ

Reaction score
Stock GB Rooted Unlocked Ramon RA Recovery,
plus now S-OFF and ENG hboot.

Next step: I need to pick one of Scott's ROMs.

Howard

PS It took me many many tries on two nights to get it done.

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score
Man, I'm still afraid to do a basic root, I used to tweak my blackberry all the time bit for some reason I have a hard time understanding some of the "lingo" associated with the root instructions.