Rumors Suggest Several New Nexus Phones From Multiple OEMs This Winter

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
custom-nexus-logo.png

We will have to call this report a rumor for now, but if it turns out to be true, then it would confirm some previous rumors we heard earlier in the year. According to a list of devices over at AndroidNoodles, we may be looking at getting Nexus phones from three different OEMs this winter. Here are the names that popped up on the list of supposed devices in the manufacturer pipeline:
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus II (This one should come as no shock.)
  • Sony Xperia Nexus (Interesting, and potentially very cool, since Sony is faster than any of the manufacturers for Android updates.)
  • LG Optimus Nexus (This one is a head-scratcher at first when you consider that LG is typically known for making mid-range devices; however, the newer Optimus series phones have been wowing lately with high-end specs and gorgeous displays, so it is possible.)
If this turned out to be accurate, it actually wouldn't be too surprising. We had heard rumors earlier in the year that Google would extend its Nexus program to share with more OEMs, and this fits right in with that. Still, this could all be made-up poppy-cock so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. We will keep an eye on this and share more info if it arrises. What do you think? Can you see yourself owning a Nexus device from Sony or LG?

Source: AndroidNoodles

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I love this idea. I always wanted a different manufacture to make the new NEXUS. The Sony one should be amazing, and is the one I would want to know more about. I'm not that excited about the GN2, cause I don't really think there will be much new that we haven't already seen from Samsung. The LG, I could take it or leave it. The Optimus line is pretty good over in SK.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Droid Forums

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
Pretty sad that Google won't even use their own personal device company to make a Nexus device. Moto must be in bad shape with all this restructuring going on. That said, would definitely purchase a GNex2, as long as it has better specs than my GSIII

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
my first six or so cellular phones were all LG, I've wanted to see a really top of the line LG for a while, and I'm hoping they come out with one that really wows everyone.

that being said, I'd love to see a Sony nexus, I think they could do a really good job. I used to love Samsung products, then I bought my first sony TV and it's been downhill for Samsung from there.

Droidram56

Reaction score
my first six or so cellular phones were all LG, I've wanted to see a really top of the line LG for a while, and I'm hoping they come out with one that really wows everyone.

that being said, I'd love to see a Sony nexus, I think they could do a really good job. I used to love Samsung products, then I bought my first sony TV and it's been downhill for Samsung from there.

I wonder if VZW would offer the Sony Nexus.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
A guy on G+ made a lot of sense. Nexus 7, Nexus Q and the 3 in question makes 5 Nexus just like it was rumored to be. Sony ftw since I can't have a moto!

Saryon

Reaction score
People, you have to understand these phone were probably in development before the Google/Motorola merger. They're not going to throw away dev time and cash just to start over again with a Moto Nexus device. IMHO of course...

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Saryon said:
People, you have to understand these phone were probably in development before the Google/Motorola merger. They're not going to throw away dev time and cash just to start over again with a Moto Nexus device. IMHO of course...

Nah I doubt Motorola had one. Look how fast Asus put out the Nexus 7. From what I hear they weren't even trying to make a Nexus 7. I don't think it take that long. These companies make these products for a living. None of them are actually starting over from scratch!

ambrown

Reaction score
I'm on board for multiple Nexi devices! I kept wondering how come Samsung has had the last two nexus devices while the other OEMs seemed to ignore nexus territory. That said, two of the three rumored are kind of shockers! I would have expected HTC and Motorola to be the other offerings next to Samsung's next nexus. I would love to see an HTC One Nexus! (though didn't think how similar to Nexus One till just now XD) and a Motorola Droid Nexus!

But if Sony can deliver then I'd love to see a nexus from them! It just seems like Sony's Xperia devices sport great design but will often feature a less than stellar processor or launch with an older version of Android. If they could finally step up the specs just a bit then that'd be an Xperia device to buy!

But even more shocking than Sony is LG! I mean, LG does offer more mid range phones than flagship devices. I guess they could offer lower budget nexus device, which would make sense from a marketing standpoint. But I could also see LG stepping up and doing a flagship device as well.

Anyway it goes I hope this rumor is true! It would be welcome news to the Android community!

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums