[Rumor] Silliness Abounds with New Moto X Phone Rumors

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
x-phone.jpg

We thought it necessary to share this silly bit of looniness today as a pseudo follow-up to last week's story.

On Friday, we shared rumors that the new Motorola X Phone would be announced at Google I/O with Key Lime Pie in tow. We made sure to disclaim the rumor, even though some of it sounded very feasible. We were still skeptical of our own story primarily because the rumor also indicated the new X Phone would not be a Nexus device, even though it would be announced with Key Lime Pie. We all know that Google only announces new versions of Android for Nexus devices. This lead us to three possible conclusions.

One, perhaps some of the intel was true but some of it was incomplete and erroneous, and the new Moto X Phone will indeed be a Nexus device. Two, Google is changing the way they handle the launch of Android for this one special phone. Three, the intel was simply bogus in part or in its entirety.

Either way, some of the info that was given to us had the potential to be valid, so it was worth sharing. Although we are going to share today's new rumor, we have the same reservations as before, but are going to share it anyway. This is simply because we know you enjoy finding out any little tidbit about what may be coming, especially when it's a cool device that might shake things up. Here it is:

• Motorola X Phone will be announced at Google I/O in May.
  • Current target for release is July 8 (definitely subject to change).
  • All carriers will sell the X Phone.
  • Verizon will sell it for $299 on contract.
  • All versions will also be sold through the Google Play store at similar off-contract price to Nexus line.
  • If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee.
  • If you buy it through Google Play, it comes unlocked with no fee.
  • Not a “Nexus” but will come running stock Android and with some bloatware.
  • Bloatware can apparently be removed once unlocked.
It's fascinating to see how all of these ideas come together when the ball gets rolling in the "rumor-mill." This would truly be a Verizon Android customer's wet dream. It was well thought out if it is fake (which we suspect). Regardless, it is possible that some of this will come true. Of course, it's also possible that there is no Motorola X Phone at all. Perhaps some rabid Android fan heard about Google's X Labs and used his vivid imagination to extrapolate out an X Phone being developed in tangent with Motorola at this super-prototype lab.

Of course, we are Android fans here at HQ too, so we certainly hope that is not the case. We want the new X Phone to be just as real as you guys do. A new competitively branded superphone from the Motorola/Google partnership would be a great way to spur innovation amongst the competition. At any rate, in this instance we will simply leave it up to you guys to define it. "Real Magic" or "Just a Trick?"

Source: Droid-Life

combatmedic870

Reaction score
If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D....right

comk4ver

Reaction score
@lidia if you are leaving Verizon and don't care about your data speed (no 4G) then go for it! But if you do care then/or you're not leaving Verizon wait for July. Google announces their new line up then.

I hope this phone will be the one to look forward I would definitely buy this one directly from Google.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I heard Tom Brady hopes that the phone is a slider with a kick-stand.

brady-ninja-1-20-13.gif

npro1464

Reaction score
$15/month to unlock it through Verizon? That's insane. I hope AdamOutler unlocks the bootloader and opens it up to everyone for $0/month.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
$15/month to unlock it through Verizon? That's insane. I hope AdamOutler unlocks the bootloader and opens it up to everyone for $0/month.

Buy it from Google and it comes unlocked with no fee.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Guys, a little info about the 15$ unlock code through vzw, my person has told me that it also comes with dedicated tech support... and a few other things...

Idk when they'll/if they'll unveil the full package, but this has been in the works for a little while.

Idk all of the facts, just thought i'd pass along what little I heard.

comk4ver

Reaction score
No I refuse to believe that Verizon will be giving us technical support for unlocked phones. They do a terrible job now and they are not capable of keeping up with the technology.
It would be like having a junior mechanic taking care of souped up NASCAR vehicles.
I would rather give the money to a developer or team for a rom.
Carry on.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Guys, a little info about the 15$ unlock code through vzw, my person has told me that it also comes with dedicated tech support... and a few other things...

Idk when they'll/if they'll unveil the full package, but this has been in the works for a little while.

Idk all of the facts, just thought i'd pass along what little I heard.

Maybe so, but I've never used VZW tech support and I never will. This great forum (plus the interwebz) has done, and will always do, a better job than them. I've never had to replace a phone either.