[Rumor] SGS4 'Altius' May Get a New Name, Coming Mid-April, Wireless Charging & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs4-logo-maybe.jpg

Rumors for the Samsung Galaxy S IV are starting to come in hot and heavy like an out control fighter jet. Today's intel brings some interesting developments. First up, we supposedly have the codename for the new flagship from Samsung, and it is called "Altius." Speaking of names, the other tidbit of info regarding its name is that it might actually have a different retail name other than SGS4. Apparently, there is a common South Korean superstition that the number 4 is bad luck, and this might factor in to the final marketed retail name. No word was given as to what that name might be.

The next piece of info that came with these rumors is the phone will be launched by Samsung at a special U.S.-based Mobile Unpacked event in March. The source of this news also indicated a more definitive release timeframe of around mid-April. Additionally, today's intel seems to confirm previous reports that the device will come with a removable battery cover that can be swapped out for a wireless charging version. The wireless charging will come sometime after the official launch of the phone. Supposedly, the battery that will come with the SGS4 (or whatever it will be called) will be a 2,600 mAh variety.

Finally, the last bit of news to come down the pike is that the phone will initially arrive in a white and black version. This is interesting because it means that Sammy has, at least temporarily, given up on the "organic Pebble Blue" color scheme. Just as a reminder, here's a breakdown of supposedly leaked specs for the phone:
  • 4.99-inch Full HD Super AMOLED display
  • Eight-core Exynos 5 Octa CPU
  • Eight-core Mali-T658 processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 13-megapixel camera with Full HD video recording
  • 2-megapixel front-facing camera with 720p HD video recording
  • Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean out of the box
As always, we will keep our ears to the ground for anything new and pass it on ASAP!

Source: AndroidAuthority

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rumor] SGS4 'Altius' May Get a New Name, Coming Mid-April, Wireless Charging & More

wouldn't mind a 3000+ battery like the note 2 but this sounds sexy

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

52brandon

Reaction score
I'm still most curious if this will be the device they finally debut their 2GB mobile DDR3 chip

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The number four is linked to death in many Asian cultures. It's thought of as being unlucky, similar to the number 13 in some Western societies. I wouldn't be surprised if it is given a different name, at least throughout Asia.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
64gig internal storage with SD card is probably asking too much...Otherwise looks like a beast.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The number four is linked to death in many Asian cultures. It's thought of as being unlucky, similar to the number 13 in some Western societies. I wouldn't be surprised if it is given a different name, at least throughout Asia.

so the large number of suicides during the building of the iphone 4/4s was more than a coincidence in Asia :O ... I couldn't believe it when I read the articles about the apple factories and the large number of deaths... I'm sure it happens everywhere with the terrible pay and work environment but its just insane

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
This, the Sony Xperia Z or the Note 3 will be my next phone. :nerd:

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
a removable battery cover that can be swapped out for a wireless charging version. The wireless charging will come sometime after the official launch of the phone...

I heard a rumor that wireless charging would be out soon for the SGSIII...A YEAR AGO!!!!!!

e53b9d2a5a715241af016bf21bed8c48.jpg

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that wireless charging would be out soon for the SGSIII...A YEAR AGO!!!!!!

e53b9d2a5a715241af016bf21bed8c48.jpg

and that rumor was true.. u can wirelessly charge the samsung s3 when u buy the back cover and the wireless mat