[Rumor] New X Phone Rumors Suggest Crazy Specs and November Launch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
x-phone-stands-alone.jpg

We have a hot new rumor about the Motorola X Phone today. This one doesn't really tie into any of the previous intel regarding the X Phone series being customizable. Instead it focuses on a slew of features and a potential release timeframe. According to unnamed sources, the X Phone will launch in November of this year with some pretty insane specs. (In fact, they sound like a Motorola fanboy's imaginary Christmas-land dream). Here's a breakdown of what was shared,
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2GHz processor
  • 4.8 inch screen, made of sapphire glass, (supposedly, three times harder to break than Gorilla Glass)
  • Corners will be have with rubber bumpers and the back will be made of carbon fiber
  • 4,000mAh battery
  • Water resistant
These specs sound too good to be true, but the release date seems to jive with much of what we have been hearing as well. It would be pretty amazing if any one of these turned out to be true. One way or another, Motorola is set to share some surprises in 2013. We can't wait to find out what they are.

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

WestOkid

Reaction score
Too good to be true is an understatement. This is crazier than the S4 having a flexible screen. I don't buy any of it. Google has already come out and said they want the X to be affordable. The Sapphire alone blows up that objective. Even Apple has stay away from Sapphire because of the cost; $30 vs. $5 for gorilla GLAS. The other problem is that Google management has said they don't see anything special ('Don't expect the Motorola X to wow you': Google - National Technology | Examiner.com) coming out of Moto for a year, because they need to fulfill existing supply chain obligations. I would be surprised, even floored if the X is released with any hardware that surpasses the S4 or the HTC One.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too good to be true is an understatement. This is crazier than the S4 having a flexible screen. I don't buy any of it. Google has already come out and said they want the X to be affordable. The Sapphire alone blows up that objective. Even Apple has stay away from Sapphire because of the cost; $30 vs. $5 for gorilla GLAS. The other problem is that Google management has said they don't see anything special ('Don't expect the Motorola X to wow you': Google - National Technology | Examiner.com) coming out of Moto for a year, because they need to fulfill existing supply chain obligations. I would be surprised, even floored if the X is released with any hardware that surpasses the S4 or the HTC One.

Yeah. I hear ya on the overzealousness of the specs. It would be nice to see this stuff in the device, but it is highly unlikely (especially the sapphire screen). Also, we know all about the idea that Motorola may not "Wow" us this year too, because we covered the same story you just posted, but we covered it three days before that one. You can read it here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-next-device-won-t-wow-goole-s-standards.html.

Still, it's important to remember that Google never specifically stated the X Phone wasn't impressive. Motorola CFO and Senior Vice President Patrick Pichette said the stuff in their current pipleline wasn't going to "wow" us. There was no specific mention that the X Phone was part of their current pipeline. Most of the industry intel we have been hearing suggests the actual X Phone will come out later in the year, after the old Moto devices have filtered through the pipeline. So, even though these specs are probably bogus, it is still entirely possible the X Phone will be a game-changing device for Motorola.

We are most excited that it might be user configurable during the order process, so it could offer a host of different configurations. Finally, there is one other possibility. Google could be engaging in reverse marketing. Mr. Pichette may have been trying to deflect the attention off of the X Phone to keep feeding the rumor-mill, and so that the final reveal goes off with a bigger bang. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but I think Google/Motorola might have recognized they have a huge potential marketing opportunity with this mysterious X Phone branding.

WestOkid

Reaction score
well I hope your optimism wins out over my pessimism. It sure would be sweet to get a non-carrier controlled super phone.