[Rumor] New X Phone Rumor Suggests It is Not a Single Device, but a New Series

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
This all sounds great. Even if only a fraction of it is true. But I have a funny feeling if it is unlocked and sold by Google VZW will find a way to block it from being used on their network.

Tap'd from my N7

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I think it would all device manufactures good to read rumors like these and try to make a device the delivers within the realm of possible.

- Give the people what they want -

While I doubt every aspect of this rumor has merit I am curious to see the first series of devices from the Google/Motorola amalgamation. I hope that at least one of the devices in the series includes a physical keyboard; I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up. I also hope that they've put an end to the embedded battery concept... if not in all the X phones at least in some. Samsung hasn't adopted the embedded battery paradigm so I don't see why it's necessary.

My only concern is that if the new device isn't going to be released until June the hype may decline not to mention that gives plenty of time for other companies to release phones that could steal the market and potential revenue.

I'm trying to remember, wasn't it Motorola that put a lot of hype into the honeycomb tablet that they finally called the XOOM and it pretty much flopped against the iPAD and Samsung Tab? Well maybe with Google added to the receipt history won't repeat itself with the X series devices.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW will find a way to block it from being used on their network.

Actually I think VZW is singing a different tune now. In the past I'm sure a big part of their motivation was loading it up with their bloatware. I think they've discovered they aren't making any money on that and, in fact, have shutdown their own app store.

Sooner or later rational thinking has to grab hold. Do they really want to give you a subsidized phone, or would they rather save that $300 and have you bring/buy your own? Turnover is much, much too low for them to spend that money to lock someone up that prefers a google phone.

jev

Reaction score
Actually I think VZW is singing a different tune now. In the past I'm sure a big part of their motivation was loading it up with their bloatware. I think they've discovered they aren't making any money on that and, in fact, have shutdown their own app store.

Sooner or later rational thinking has to grab hold. Do they really want to give you a subsidized phone, or would they rather save that $300 and have you bring/buy your own? Turnover is much, much too low for them to spend that money to lock someone up that prefers a google phone.

I certainly hope that's the case. I switched to Sprint in '11 because of the price( then VZW came out with their family share program that would've saved me the same $$:angry:) and am planning to come back to VZW when my contract expires in Nov. I'm more partial to Moto/Google because they are based in the U.S. and I like to buy U.S.A. first if possible.
As far as the customization, I think it's more feasible to have a few different hardware choices then be able to customize the look and the software. I would be surprised if the customization extended to the internels but that'd be awesome if it did. Whatever the case, it's gonna be an exciting year for us phone geeks!

equake

Reaction score
This is inevitable like the BTO notebook pc business.

Here are your choices, fixed set of screen sizes ie 5" fhd, 4.5" hd, 7" hd tablet, 10.1" fhd tablet etc... choice of course speeds, storage, battery sizes...

I don't think it's out of the question but it all has to be uniform and carrier unlocked.

My 2 cents

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
glad yall did because the irs reminded me of all the stuff that was passed as i was taxed out the wazzooo. Well since you got a lot back how bout you hit that donate button and help me out :p.

give-donate-button.gif
rnflmbo

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope that's the case. I switched to Sprint in '11 because of the price( then VZW came out with their family share program that would've saved me the same $$:angry:) and am planning to come back to VZW when my contract expires in Nov. I'm more partial to Moto/Google because they are based in the U.S. and I like to buy U.S.A. first if possible.

I think the subsidy has always been more about customer loyalty/retention, the contract is just a way to guarantee they don't lose money on the deal. They certainly don't have to give you a phone to get you to sign a contract. But if someone wants/needs a new phone, no question they could jump ship for a $300 subsidy.

By the same token locking phones creates an additional financial penalty for switching, so that could be a real hitch here. But if it's no longer illegal to unlock a phone...

The carriers will adapt. There are many, many ways to get someone to commit to a contract. If such an X phone were to be in high demand, VZW would have to be flexible or risk losing a significant number of customers.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The last time a killer Motorola phone was introduced and I got excited it was the Bionic.
We all know how that turned out.
I just hope they are not stupid enough to let that happen again.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The last time a killer Motorola phone was introduced and I got excited it was the Bionic.
You just made me turn that X in to a cross,back Satin!!!,you prince of darkness!!!lol!!!

Sent from my S3 rocking Jelly Bean 4.1.2

AdamPA1006

Reaction score

So true. The just hosed over us the ones impatiently waited for the bionic, then they instantly released the RAZR. I'm gonna give this X phone a chance though. The S4 obviously isn't anything to get insane about, but I am looking at the Note 3 whatever that turns out to be. I've been extremely happy with my Note 2, way happier than at any point in time than the Bionic. Samsung really came through in every way possible with the N2, perhaps only holding back a bit by not having a true HD display, and the refresh rate and overall responsiveness of the screen is a little poor. But hey no phone will ever be perfect......right? X PHONE lol

Sent from my Note 2 using the Droid Forums App

themuttt

Reaction score
same EXACT thing I think of whenever Moto is talked about

what happened to there being one more "meh" phone left in the pipeline before Google's designs take over? This sure doesn't sound like the last of the old guard