Moto X to Ship 'somewhat simultaneously' with the Droid Series

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-Moto-X-black-unlockr.jpg

The folks at PhoneArena have a tip from a solid insider source suggesting the new Moto X will actually be released around the same time as the Motorola Droid series phones on Verizon. According to their source, the Moto X will hit the streets "somewhat simultaneously" as the new Droid series. Although they weren't more specific than that, a little deductive reasoning suggests we will see the Moto X shipping out somewhere between August 20th and August 23rd. Some unconfirmed previous rumors suggested an August 23rd release date to begin with.

The final official reveal for the Moto X will be on August 1st, so hopefully we will know more specific details at that time. As always we will keep you apprised as more details emerge.

Source: MotoXForums.com

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that means to Verizon, though? $100 says it's every other carrier, then Verizon a month or two later...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wonder if that means to Verizon, though? $100 says it's every other carrier, then Verizon a month or two later...
very tempting to take you up on that bet :D

With Verizon receiving 3 new Droids, I don't see much reason as to why they would want the Moto X in their lineup so early.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
very tempting to take you up on that bet :D

With Verizon receiving 3 new Droids, I don't see much reason as to why they would want the Moto X in their lineup so early.

Depends on if Google played their upper hand. If Google plans to sell the CDMA Moto X on the Play Store then Verizon will be furious about that without a doubt, and perhaps for the first time bow down and conform to keep from losing their @$$. Google is on the cusp of domination with this device, and those who stand in the way of their $500 million dollar marketing machine will likely be run the hell over for their insolence.

jseah

Reaction score
Depends on if Google played their upper hand. If Google plans to sell the CDMA Moto X on the Play Store then Verizon will be furious about that without a doubt, and perhaps for the first time bow down and conform to keep from losing their @$$. Google is on the cusp of domination with this device, and those who stand in the way of their $500 million dollar marketing machine will likely be run the hell over for their insolence.

Or it could be like all the other Nexus phones (except for the Galaxy Nexus) and be available in GSM only, so it can never be used on Verizon.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or it could be like all the other Nexus phones (except for the Galaxy Nexus) and be available in GSM only, so it can never be used on Verizon.

That would've been my thought as well - but, if I remember right, a CDMA capable X has already passed through the FCC.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm not so sure about that. They certainly won't be pushing the handset (spending advertising dollars), but I can see them carrying it. They just got the Droid announcement out of the way and opened pre-orders so there's really nothing that should prevent them from making it available as soon as orders open up.

I'm going to go so far as to say the X will be nothing more than the Ultra in different clothing and a couple extra "features." Strictly speculation, but that's the way it's looking to me.....as of 7/23/13 at 9:07 pm Central :big smile:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait, wait...You mean to tell me that it is possible for a company to sell a CDMA and GSM capable device that can run on Verizon or AT&T WITHOUT it being approved by Verizon ????? :blink:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. They certainly won't be pushing the handset (spending advertising dollars), but I can see them carrying it. They just got the Droid announcement out of the way and opened pre-orders so there's really nothing that should prevent them from making it available as soon as orders open up.

I'm going to go so far as to say the X will be nothing more than the Ultra in different clothing and a couple extra "features." Strictly speculation, but that's the way it's looking to me.....as of 7/23/13 at 9:07 pm Central :big smile:

Wouldn't it be a nice surprise if the reason for the very short speech about the new Droid lineup is because they are going to push the X more on Verizon? One area someone could pick up on in their ads would be 3 little words with big impact : Made In USA
It's probably just a pipe dream that Verizon or anyone else will make that a big issue.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Wait, wait...You mean to tell me that it is possible for a company to sell a CDMA and GSM capable device that can run on Verizon or AT&T WITHOUT it being approved by Verizon ????? :blink:

It's a gray area.

That leaves the issue of control, and the politics of LTE network access tilt almost exclusively towards carriers. For example, Verizon has offered an "Open Development" initiative since 2008, offering other companies the ability to run devices on its networks, including the LTE network. "As long as the person follows our specifications and certification process as outlined on our open access website, they can get a device on our network," a Verizon spokesperson told us. However, that program — which to date has primarily been used in a business-to-business context — would still prevent Google from updating its phones in a timely manner. "Firmware pushed to devices over the air must be tested and certified," Verizon told us.
Ironically, Verizon's LTE network runs on 700MHz "C Block" spectrum which has FCC "open access" rules attached to it, which require that any compatible device be allowed to connect. Google fought vociferously to put these rules in place, even participating in the FCC's spectrum auction to ensure Verizon paid the minimum bid price that triggered the rules. But the rules have turned out to be virtually meaningless in practice, as Verizon uses 700MHz in conjunction with CDMA spectrum that doesn’t have similar open access rules — so while Verizon might be legally required to support an unlocked LTE device, the legacy CDMA network still effectively keeps all of Verizon’s phones locked.

Slow lane: why Google's new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE | The Verge

Even though it's probably enforceable that Google be able to sell a device that uses Verizons network, the fact that Google can't OTA update at will pretty much negates the desire to do so in the first place. However, for Verizon to let such an opportunity pass them by without bending the rules a bit would be foolish at best. If this device is anything of the hit I believe it will be than Verizon might see more of an Exodus long term than we have ever before because Google is rolling a snow ball that's about to turn into a mountain of a juggernaut (the Play Store pure Google experience), and this device is just the start of that carrying on the legacy of the Nexus and flagship Google experience devices such as HTC One and GS4. Maybe you won't switch carriers for this device, but perhaps it leaves a bad enough taste in your mouth the next go around, and Dr. CDMA needs to pay attention to this runaway effect before they get buried.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a gray area.

Maybe you won't switch carriers for this device, but perhaps it leaves a bad enough taste in your mouth the next go around, and Dr. CDMA needs to pay attention to this runaway effect before they get buried.

Verizon has the best network, but the worst flexibility of unlocked phones. My contract runs out in December, so we will see what happens next year.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
If this is released on Verizon the same tine as the new droids, Joe public will go for the droids because that is what he has heard about. The Moto X will be treated as a HTC phone in Verizons eyes. Salesmen will pimp the droids and not the X. The X, in this forums world, is an overhyped device. Sure it is customizable, etc.but is that a big selling idea. How many people put a case on their phone, thus negating any cool features your device may have. Kevlar back...so what, it has an otterbox on it. The X will fail and then people will say, "Oh well, it was just a Motorola end line phone before a true Googorola device"

Iggy08

Reaction score
The X will fail and then people will say, "Oh well, it was just a Motorola end line phone before a true Googorola device"

That's what they said about the HTC One. It's been a while since the release, but Verizon still has no other choice than to finally get it because people didn't just bend over and accept the DROID DNA.