[Rumor] Insiders Claim New Nexus 5 Will Only Have 2300 mAh Battery

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-nexus-5-rendering-square.jpg

Previous rumors pegged the battery on the new Nexus 5 at a healthy 3,000 mAh. That was later partially refuted by a new rumor suggesting the 16GB version would be a 2,300 mAh battery, and only the 32GB would have the larger 3,000 mAhs. Today's newest intel may just drown both of these previous rumors. Supposedly, industry insiders revealed that both versions of the Nexus 5 will have the smaller 2,300 mAh battery. They also confirmed what we all could have guessed, which is that the phone will not come with a microSD slot.

Considering the leaked pic and price of $350 on the Google Play Store last night, this latest rumor seems fairly credible. At that price it would make more sense for Google to save some bread-crumbs by having a smaller battery. We are holding out hope that this new rumor is wrong, or that there might be additional versions available with a larger battery for a bit more dough. If this turns out to be true, would it make a difference for you?

Source: PhoneArena

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Ahh, I remember the days when my phone didn't last a day and a half before charging. Never again!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I could not care less about the battery. I have chargers everywhere: car, home (x2), work. Viva la no proprietary chargers!

Iggy08

Reaction score
The battery is make or break for me. I'm definitely willing to pay the difference, but I need it to last me at least a day. I'm coming off my 3rd Motorola, all 3 have had great battery life (X, X2, RAZR HD). Gone are the days of peasant battery life for me.

Amagine

Reaction score
Google has yet (to me) to produce a well rounded device, Nexus or Moto X. They either go full steam on the user experience and skimp out on some vital features, or go full steam on advanced features and materials and just flat our ignore some common features (SDcard) most people like in a device.
While I like the idea of cutting out the carrier from the equation, Google needs to look into creating a full out flag ship phone. Give me expandable memory and either a removable battery or one close to that of the RAZR MAXX. Couple that with a Nexus experience then you have have me.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Big battery is like a gun, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! :p - It's awesome for travel (long flight, movie watching) and especially for boating in the summer. My old Nexus died on me all of the time out on the water. Fail!

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
A big battery / removable battery is a must because it is annoying having to charge it all day. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a MOBILE PHONE. Yea, a lot of people are near an outlet a lot of the time, but then you have to have a charger with that outlet and then leave the phone plugged in. I want my phone to last at least two days with moderate to heavy use because if the power goes out, I'm traveling, hiking, going through a lot of weak cell service areas, etc I want to make sure my phone isn't going to die or have to watch how I use it. So far the most tempting device for me to leave my GNex is the Rarz Maxx HD.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Just FYI - the G2 also made by LG same processor even bigger screen has a 3000 mAh and will last more than 2 days with jsut normal usage not just sitting but not pushing it either.
The s-800 is a darn great piece of hardware. and while the 3000 is great I can tell you that this battery last twice as long as the 3800 mAh extended on the nexus.

Also the G2 does not have envelope tracking which the nexus 5 will.
This is a tech they state will give 20% better battery usage when using LTE. I dont buy it is that high but thats what they say.

Between all of this I am betting that the 2300 will be plenty to last most through a whole day without issues.

Unless they really messed something up on the nexus , if it is a derivative of the hardware in the G2 You will be amazed by the battery life you will get at only 2300.

it will be double what the stock battery in the nexus gave you easily.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Just FYI - the G2 also made by LG same processor even bigger screen has a 3000 mAh and will last more than 2 days with jsut normal usage not just sitting but not pushing it either.
The s-800 is a darn great piece of hardware. and while the 3000 is great I can tell you that this battery last twice as long as the 3800 mAh extended on the nexus.

Also the G2 does not have envelope tracking which the nexus 5 will.
This is a tech they state will give 20% better battery usage when using LTE. I dont buy it is that high but thats what they say.

Between all of this I am betting that the 2300 will be plenty to last most through a whole day without issues.

Unless they really messed something up on the nexus , if it is a derivative of the hardware in the G2 You will be amazed by the battery life you will get at only 2300.

it will be double what the stock battery in the nexus gave you easily.

It should be enough for normal users, the note 2 is supposed to have a two day battery but mine usually makes it from around 5am to 8pm

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This rumor if true will remove this phone from my shopping list. I'd rather pay $650 for another droid maxx then $350 for 16gb and worry about not using the device as much as I'd like.

When will they learn that battery is consumers #1 concern.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
This rumor if true will remove this phone from my shopping list. I'd rather pay $650 for another droid maxx then $350 for 16gb and worry about not using the device as much as I'd like.

They'll learn when some angry Android junkie mods his/her phone to make it run off of brain power:D:D

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

I just can't survive on a device that has so much less in the way of development. Less Rom availability, fewer updates, and almost always and end state where some major component, i.e. camera functionality, data, battery, doesn't function properly. Moto is likely off my radar as long as I'm on VZ. Regular devices are too locked down, and the Dev editions receive little support because they are devices native to VZ only. C'est la vie.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google has yet (to me) to produce a well rounded device, Nexus or Moto X. They either go full steam on the user experience and skimp out on some vital features, or go full steam on advanced features and materials and just flat our ignore some common features (SDcard) most people like in a device.
While I like the idea of cutting out the carrier from the equation, Google needs to look into creating a full out flag ship phone. Give me expandable memory and either a removable battery or one close to that of the RAZR MAXX. Couple that with a Nexus experience then you have have me.
^^^^^^all this

Iggy08

Reaction score
The display is what really eats up the battery in phones, more than half of your battery is eaten up by your display, so having 5 inches of it doesn't help your battery life even if the processor is more efficient.

Also, I doubt any regular user will get a chance to buy one of these bad boys. Phone geeks like me will probably make them sell out in minutes. Phone geeks usually aren't light on there phones either, all of my friends are above moderate to heavy users. I doubt that's going to stop anyone from buying it though, it will make me look for another phone though

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
3500 mah battery in maxx let's my wife have 8+ hours of screen time on single charge(she disconnects at 6am and reconnects at midnight every day). my 2100 mah battery in nexus gives me 2.5 hours of screen time on single charge(i have to charge my phone every 4-6 hours through out the day as i do a lot of work related stuff on my phone). i will not buy another samsung device unless it comes with toyota prius battery so i can get decent mileage.