[Rumor] Google May be Working Toward Adding VoIP to Google Voice

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-voice-logo.jpg

Rumors around the 'interwebs' suggest that Google may be working toward their own VoIP solution that will be built-in to Google Voice. The first sign of this possibility is that Google purchased Gizmo5, a popular VoIP calling service back in 2009, then recently shuttered it. Gizmo5 recently announced they will be shutting down their service in April. Typically, when a larger company acquires a smaller one for its products, then shuts it down, that is a sign it will very soon be integrating the shuttered project into its own product line.

The other rumor that lends credence to this speculation is that some people are able to place VoIP calls to a GV number after the following is added to the end of the number, “@sip.voice.google.com”. This seems to work only in rare and specific cases supposedly.

Google has been adding a ton of features to Google Voice recently, like incoming number portability, visual voicemail, and SMS functions, yet most of this is just educated conjecture at this point. Still, if the pieces do fit, and this turns out to be Google's plan all along, then very soon, Google will be an even larger player in the telecoms industry. This will result in a nice win-win scenario for Android consumers. What do you guys think? If you speculate further, its easy to envision VoIP over WiFI networks quickly spreading across the globe in 7-10 years... Does the idea of VoIP calls replacing all our regular phone calls appeal to you?

Source: Phandroid via BGR

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Sure, it does. I've been using Voip for the last 2 years. So nothing really new there. If Google had wanted to, it could have done this in 2009... I think what would make Google Voice more attractable would be MMS support and International SMS. Those seem to be the largest requests from the Google Voice Support forums - have been since 2009. Voip would be welcome, but it is pretty sucky over 3G, so if you're using WiFi, just use Skype or Gmail to call on your computer.

n2imagination

Reaction score
need data only plans

I would love this but the problem is that the carriers need data only plans that allow you to use your phone number. The way I understand it now is that if you port your number over to google talk to use the voip features, your number will be removed from Verizon (essentially killing your account). There needs to be a way to use a voip number but mask with your cell number on outgoing caller id, or to be able to link your cell number to a data only plan. I feel the cell network is living on borrowed time, pending data coverage gaining enough ground. I look forward to a "one cost, no limits" data plan that will include phone, net, email, ect.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is going to be very interesting. Don't think for one second that VZW will sit pat while people switch to minimum voice plans and use Google VoIP to supplement it (especially with LTE).

It's disruptive technology and I'm sure carriers will struggle with how to maintain sales in such a world.

Just as a sidebar, I wonder what impact such a plan would have on data usage. If hi-def music streaming is about 1meg a minute, then a 1000 minutes of VoIP in a month would be about 1gig? That's not insignificant, especially if we are going to be capped. But if 5gigs is a standard plan, doesn't seem to much of an issue, but probably not for some people that would use well over 2000 minutes. Just pray that video calling never takes off in the business world.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
One other thing....VZW announce VoLTE (voice over LTE) would be coming late 2012 (I think) - they just had their first successful test not long ago.

So they are thinking about it and do have plans to compete. Also, don't look for Google to provide this free for long. It seems pretty clear Google will charge (albeit much lower rates than land lines or cellular) for this and "free" is only temporary to grow demand.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I don't know, it doesn't seem like Google to charge for something. If anything they'll find a way to blast it with advertisements like they did with Youtube. I don't know for sure though. I'd only pay for Google Voice if 1. It had MMS, 2. International SMS. and 3. Sip capabilities. And no 100 sms limit per day.

alienware777

Reaction score
If you could integrate g voice into your android phone then I would pay. By that I mean instead of installing some app which then you use to text and crap, if you could enter your number and have it work perfect. Text with the default sms client, call like normal, etc. But you can't. So it sucks and I won't pay haha.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My guess is having to install GV is very much due to VZW as it could pose a pretty big risk to a good chunk of text messaging $$$. Plus, I don't know if anyone can sign-up for it now, but for a long time there you needed an invite to GV.

As for Google charging for any features, the free VoIP they began offering thru Google Talk was supposed to end in December, but I think they haven't gotten the user base they expected so they extended it free for all of 2011.

Like I said, get ready for an interesting battle because Verizon is working on VoLTE, and it supposedly has superior voice clarity to even your land line.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Well I just hate to hear my own voice and feel sorry for others that have to listen to it.