[Rumor] Galaxy S5 Might Include New Tech Li-ion 2900 mAh Battery with Rapid Charging

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
duracell_matrix-morpheus.jpg

There is a new rumor hitting the web regarding the Samsung Galaxy S5. While that's no surprise, the content of this rumor is fairly unique. Most of the time we expect to see rumors regarding chipsets, display technology and outer casing materials, but it's battery tech that gets largely ignored. This new rumor flips that on its head. Supposedly, the next iteration of the Galaxy S line will come with some newly advanced battery tech.

The rumored new battery on the SGS5 will utilize a new type of Li-ion that can store 20% more energy and will charge much faster as well. According to the intel, the battery will be a 2,900 mAh and will fully charge in under two hours. This new tech uses a silicon anode instead of the usual graphite. This allows for the 20% increase in capacity as well as the other improvements. Additionally, this battery improvement is easy to produce with current technology. (You can read more about this new battery tech here: At long last, new lithium battery tech actually arrives on the market (and might already be in your smartphone) | ExtremeTech.)

It's about time companies started focusing on features that actually matter to users. Improved battery life is likely at the top of the list for most of us.

Source: PhoneArena

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It's about time companies started focusing on features that actually matter to users. Improved battery life is likely at the top of the list for most of us.

What, scrolling without touching the display is way more important than battery! :p

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love the sarcasm! Has anyone ever really made much use out of that feature on the SGS4? Seemed so silly to me...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love the sarcasm! Has anyone ever really made much use out of that feature on the SGS4? Seemed so silly to me...

I use it on my Note2 often (hover the s pen) but the thing that got me to buy it over the others at the time was not the ability to hover but the ability to leave my charger at home if I'm gong to be away more than 16 hours.
I just hope manufacturers don't take the 20% increase in capacity and use it only to decrease the battery size by 20% in the war against a phone weighing more/being thicker than than a credit card. For whatever reason they usually seem to make any advances in battery life technology become another reason to shave weight and girth instead of actually decreasing the need to charge as often.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^ Agreed. I went from a Droid Bionic to the GNexus and the thinness was actually annoying. Stop with the thin!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

What, scrolling without touching the display is way more important than battery! :p

Right on.....When merely looking at my phone supercharges the battery, THEN color me impressed.

luv2increase

Reaction score
My LG G2 charges to full faster than 2 long hours, and it's a 3000mah that's a beast.