[Rumor] ASUS Gives Hint that their Eee Pad Slider May be Coming Soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus_eee_pad_slider.jpg

Sources within ASUS recently made the following comment regarding their Eee Pad Slider Android Tablet,
“For those of you waiting for the Eee Pad Slider, we’ve got some good news for you: its launch is due soon!”
While this is a bit vague, we should hear something official from them very soon as they are holding a press conference on Monday, May 30th. For a refresher on the specs of this device look below:
  • 10.1-inch unit with a 1280 x 800 resolution
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor at 1GHz
  • Honeycomb
  • Built-In Slide-out Keyboard
Most of the features are pretty standard fare, but the most distinguishing feature is the built-in slide-out keyboard. ASUS is on a roll with their unique take on these Android Tablets. If they can keep their price competitive advantage, they could really begin to dominate.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via SlashGear and TabletPCReview

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think if the Slider is a "Transformer-on-steroids" then the $400 pricepoint for the Transformer (16GB) makes good sense in hindsight. We all guessed the goal was to underprice the competition, but maybe not. We know the teardowns, but we don't know the overhead (design, assembly, marketing costs, etc.). If overhead is low enough, maybe the real point is to sell a "cheaper" tablet and bank on the extras. In the case of the Transformer, it's the $150 keyboard/charging dock.

If that logic holds, then the Slider should come out at a comparable price for the package...$500-$600. (And given how much I love my original Droid, I'd definitely go for it.) But what's funny is that if IT IS $600, AND it sells well--how ironic that we'd take that offer over $300 for a netbook that could run laps around an Android tablet with built-in keyboard. How easily snowed we are (OK admittedly, the tab will have GPS, 2 cameras, accelerometer, etc.)!

-Matt

cmaag

Reaction score
Lets just hope this one doesn't have supply issue right out of the gate. Its a really cool take though for those who don't want the extra weight of carry a dock around. I will be game if they keep the price down.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Well, the weight will still be there, it's just not removable xD