Rugged case for Droid MAXX

blotsome

Reaction score
I had a Droid RAZR MAXX for over 2 years, and paired it with an Otterbox Defender, and used the holster daily. I am a construction worker, and I have dropped my phone off of my lap out of a van onto concrete, dropped it onto soft grass from a roof, used it in the fog and rain, cold and heat/humidity, gone through attic insulation and crawlspaces, and I haven't had any noticeable damage due to my line of work. My biggest complaint for that case is the soft rubber outer shell didn't like going into my pockets on my days off when I wasn't using the holster (or would stick to the pocket fabric when I tired removing it from my pocket). The built in screen protector scratched easily, so it was always a little dull, and oil, dust seemed to stick to it (or under it) but not too bad.

I just upgraded to a Droid MAXX and got another Otterbox Defender. This model has been redesigned. The soft rubber outer shell is significantly less soft/sticky so I don't forsee the pocket issue. The holster has been redesigned (I broke the older Razr Maxx one once, but got a warranty replacement). But the deal breaker is this:

The built in screen protector sits about half a millimeter above the actual screen. Thus sensitivity is greatly reduced, and you have to push down comparatively harder than what I am used to. I have the old and new side by side, and it is extremely noticeable. Swiping homescreens is much, much easier with the old. The new one feels like a trampoline, in that you can feel the screen protector bulging in before you hit the phone. This appears to be an issue with the Defender line universally, but with the side by side comparison, the new model is clearly much worse in this regard. Most users online suggest cutting the screen protector out, and not using the built in one, but I feel for my application, it would be detrimental due to the amount of dust, debris, grime, and airborne particulates I am exposed to in my line of work.

Is there any chance this is a one off defect, and a return and replacement would yield a better product?

If not, are there any other recommendations for the DROID MAXX that has significant drop/dust protection? They don't make Lifeproof cases for this phone. I've heard about the Trident CYCLOPs, but don't have any hands on experience. It appears to have dust protection, but might not be as sturdy as the defender. Are there sensitivity issues with the built in screen protector there?

Also, with the Defender, it is really really hard to move icons from one homescreen to the next, and I think this is a combination of the screenprotector not sitting flush (so the edges are even harder to push down than in the center) and the wide screen glass sensitivity on the phone conflicting with the edge of the case.

TL;DR Otterbox Defender I have sucks. Any alternatives that are super rugged, with dust protection.

rodgeman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge
I use the Trident daily. I had an Otterbox on my Global 2 and did not like it. I also use the Zagg InvisibleShield on the front. It is military grade. I have no problems entering or using the screen.I love the Trident. It feels good in the hand and it plugs the ports.

OP
B

blotsome

Reaction score
I use the Trident daily. I had an Otterbox on my Global 2 and did not like it. I also use the Zagg InvisibleShield on the front. It is military grade. I have no problems entering or using the screen.I love the Trident. It feels good in the hand and it plugs the ports.

Thanks for the feedback. So I take it you took the built in screen protector off? Or are you using two screen protectors? And if the former, how does it do with dust without the built in cover?

rodgeman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge
I took the built in screen protector off. The Zagg is applied to the screen so no dust there.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I run the defender with the screen protector removed and a military shield (less grippy than the standard zagg) installed... Be sure if you take the screen protector off, you remove the tape(double sided adhesive) from the case or it will ruin any screen protector, and quite possibly peel it up when you remove the case.

OP
B

blotsome

Reaction score
Just curious, how hard are y'all on your phones? What is your profession (or toughest situations your phones are submitted to)? My concern with taking the built in screen protector off is that the phone case itself will fill up with dust and grime at a much accelerated rate than what it does with the pin hole openings with the screen protector. But maybe that shouldn't even be a concern of mine. Just open it up and wipe it out more often..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They make wraps too.. A tad difficult to install the first time.. But.. They work for keeping junk out.. And I've even used one under an otterbox defender.. Worked great..

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I have done the same thing with more than one of the defender cases. HATE the built in and remove it immediately!! I have the military shield on my screen too. I am a boilerman, backyard mechanic ride bikes too and have never had any real amount of crud in my case. I do try and take mine apart once a week and clean the phone though Chris

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Apparently we're all alike.. Except my day job is behind a desk.. Somewhat.. And I'm a musician and a mechanic.. And my phones look awesome..

And you can't beat otterbox customer service.. They also make the vaults for Westone audio... My favorite in ear headphone manufacturer out of Colorado.. :)

OK.. There's my plug.. Give me free stuff!!! Lol.. Jk