Rubix Throttling Removal

c1pher

Reaction score
Disclaimer:
**I am by no means an Android Dev.
**This is not my original work. All I did was apply their methods to the Rubix services.jar. Original work is at [1]
**This will be overwritten by themes. If yours isn't one that is explicitly on this list, I doubt they are cross compatible as the themes usually take the core rubix services.jar file, modify it, then overwrite it with that one when you install. So if you patch it first, the theme overwrites it. If you patch it after the theme, you are perhaps undoing some of their work. (Not a themer, no clue how it works. Just know that it seems to be in every theme I look at =P)

****** I am not responsible blah blah blah *****

****** THIS IS ONLY FOR Rubix-1.9.5 ******

****** Make SURE that you have Data Roaming enabled in Settings -> Wireless & Networking -> Mobile Networks *****

Now the fun. This should make it so that your phone will ignore any throttling that it is told to apply, be it targeted, or blanket throttling applied to an area due to congestion. Whether or not it actually does that, who knows! =P

For the non-themed version of Rubix-1.9.5
1) download http://c1pher.net/downloads/rubix_1.9.5_throttle.zip
2) Put it on your SDCard
3) Bootstrap, reboot recovery
4) Mount /system
5) Install zip.

For the themed version of Rubix-1.9.5
1) download http://c1pher.net/downloads/rubix_1.9.5_themed_throttle.zip
2) Put it on your SDCard
4) Mount /system
5) Install zip.

For any Black Juice theme:
1) Install Rubix *and* the Theme first.
2) Download http://c1pher.net/downloads/rubix_1.9.5_bluejuice.zip and put it on the SD card
4) Mount /system
5) Install zip

Things I've noticed so far:
I have access to a second Droid X (which was) running the default Moto stuff. I seem to be getting radically better speeds in congested areas which are likely to have some kind of blanket throttling. However, tests are inconclusive as it wasn't running Rubix (And we all know how blisteringly fast rubix is! =P) . I've switched it over to Rubix today w/o my patches, so I will report back when I know for sure.

If it's working you will NOT be able to access Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks (It will force close). This is a good way to make sure my patch worked =P

I've been using this myself over both Rubix themed and Rubix + Black Juice Blue. So far, no issues at all. Seems nice and stable.

I'm sure theres a way to make the Mobile Networks menu accessible again, however, my Android foo is not that strong, and most of my development time is consumed by Gentoo, so it is likely I will not search for a fix =P

Suggestions and thoughts are welcome. Feel free to PM me here, or shoot me an e-mail. (Google "Gentoo Linux and c1pher", my e-mail address is readily available)

I am toying with writing a quick bash script that will create the zip files for other themes etc. However it will be entirely bash based if I do it. Interest in this anyone?

**UNDO Instructions**

For the non-themed version of Rubix-1.9.5 (Credit to dr0id99)
1) download http://www.sodhaxors.com/download/rubix/rubix_1.9.5_throttle-hack-removal.zip
2) Put it on your SDCard
4) Mount /system
5) Install zip.

For the themed version of Rubix-1.9.5
1) download http://c1pher.net/downloads/rubix_1.9.5_themed_throttle_unhack.zip
2) Put it on your SDCard
4) Mount /system
5) Install zip.

For Black Juice theme:
1) download http://c1pher.net/downloads/rubix_1.9.5_bluejuice_unthrottle.zip
2) Put it on your SDCard
4) Mount /system
5) Install zip.

Anyway, hope this helps. Enjoy!

[1] [GUIDE] How to defeat data throttling - xda-developers

Last edited:

dr0id99

Reaction score
Could you throw up a zip of the 7 files that get deleted? I'll take a look and see if I can figure out how to solve the FC issue.

OP
C

c1pher

Reaction score

dr0id99

Reaction score
That would be cool, if you don't have time I'll do it when I get back from lunch =)

dr0id99

Reaction score
Well so far I've found 8 ways to not fix the FC issue and bootloop my phone LOL

GTvert90

Reaction score
Could you post the back juice blue file? Unless you did and I missed it.

To undo couldn't you just flash the theme with out your mod?

Are there any negative effects other than that FC?

ericsch333

Reaction score
Verizon does not data throtting so it will not effect you speed.

dr0id99

Reaction score

Positive on this (googling I see mixed info, like vz is only throttling in congested area's)? Maybe just a placebo affect but I've noticed a difference with throttling removed. It also would then make me wonder why several droid1/2/x rom builders would or have already integrated this or provided patches to do it.

ericsch333

Reaction score

Positive on this (googling I see mixed info, like vz is only throttling in congested area's)? Maybe just a placebo affect but I've noticed a difference with throttling removed. It also would then make me wonder why several droid1/2/x rom builders would or have already integrated this or provided patches to do it.

yup asked our tech we have verizon tech on staff with the air force

dr0id99

Reaction score

yup asked our tech we have verizon tech on staff with the air force

Well crap, I apparently semi-wasted part of a afternoon then lol.