Rooting Thunderbolt

KSR

Reaction score
Well, my Droid X has been rooted forever now and I think its time I root my Thunderbolt. I may or may not Factory Reset it first to have a completely clean phone and maybe try my hand at installing a ROM.

I'm thinking of using the "Revolutionary" method found in this video. [video=youtube;-UK_CiB2SYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk[/video].

1: Good method for rooting?
2: What is the best ROM for the 'Bolt? I'm looking for a ROM with decent battery life (about 8-12 hours is fine with me). I'm more hoping for a ROM that's similar to Gingerbread with animations when opening apps/menus. Any ideas? Maybe give the name for 2 or 3 really good ROMs and I'll check out reviews on Youtube or something.
3: What apps should I install for Overclocking or other such things? There are a few options so I wanna make sure I find the best for my phone.
4: My phone is disconnected and has no service from Verizon, just in case that matters any.

Thanks for your time.

drew

Reaction score
1) Revolutionary is now the preferred method of rooting. It's really simple.
2) Gingeritis looks promising...I'm also considering CyanogenMod. Think I would miss Sense though.
3) SetCPU. Titanium Backup. ROM Manager. Wireless Tether. Root Explorer.
4) If you have WiFi, it shouldn't matter. When you root and reboot it should just come up as "no service" anyway.

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
Yeah, Revolutionary seems like the simplest way I've found so far so I will definitely go for it. I'm just waiting for it to be fully charged and I may Factory Reset it first. And thank you for your quick reply!

So far, CyanogenMod 7 looks promising. But I was wondering about Kernals? What's the point of them and do I need one for CyanogenMod 7 to work properly? I never got into Kernals or ROMs on my DX, so I'm new to that part of the time.

I might try to use the "Method 1" on the following video, because it seems the simplest:
[video=youtube;QjJcZ8weg88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJcZ8weg88[/video]

Last edited:

bobotoimp

Reaction score
So with this method you won't get service at all?

Sent by the one and only Chitownbrez!!!