Rooting Question

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
So if I root my phone right now, and the new update comes out soon, do I have to turn my Droid back to a stock Droid first before installing the new update?

Thanks all!

dtartini

Reaction score
So if I root my phone right now, and the new update comes out soon, do I have to turn my Droid back to a stock Droid first before installing the new update?

Thanks all!

If actually do the OTA update it will unroot your phone anyway. If you installed a custom ROM after rooting this ROM will most likley block OTA updates (many do ie sholes/droidmod). If you want to keep root just wait for another ROM to come out after the OTA that will have all the factory updates. This way you dont lose root.

Reaction score
If I root, will I lose all of my contacts? I know someone said until you sign into your gmail account, but most of my contacts are not gmail contacts is this going to matter?

dtartini

Reaction score
If I root, will I lose all of my contacts? I know someone said until you sign into your gmail account, but most of my contacts are not gmail contacts is this going to matter?

You just back them up to you gmail account before hand or back them up to the SD card if you are worried about loosing them. To back up to SD card just go into contacts>menu soft key>export. When I rooted I used sholesmod and wiped my data, then went into contacts and just imported what I had saved.

ironosity

Reaction score
As part of the process of rooting you will disable over the air updates. This gives you the freedom of installing whatever rom you want without worrying if the next OTA update crashes your phone. A couple of weeks ago I finally made the decision to root (I was one of those worried about bricking my phone so I was hesitent). I was going to wait till 2.1 came out but then I decided it didn't make any difference since when I installed a custom rom it would just mean the update was useless. More over, most of the roms (2.01) have the best features from 2.1 anyways. so get the good stuff later and rest assured that when 2.1 comes out officially the roms will most likely be updated to 2.1 anyways.

The only thing I regret with regards to rooting is that I waited until now to do it. I run BB 1.1 with a blue glass theme installed via metamorph. I LOVE my phone now!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks all!
Not if you disable the OTA update.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score