rooting for an idiot

Lucasd2002

Reaction score
I've been cruising around with my droid 2 for a while now in stock/standard configuration (ignorance is bliss). I've just had to much going on to mess with the phone until recently. I now have a little extra time and the recent software update from a few weeks ago has made Pandora essentially quit working. I used to listen for hours at a time at work, but now it won't even make it through a single song before the phone crashes. So, I figured now it is finally time to root this puppy. Plus, it would be nice to get rid of the BS apps that came with the phone.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know what software I have on it right now- it's whatever standard VZW pushes to the phones. Which version # or whatever in 'About Phone' would tell me if I have gingerman or whatever.

Anyway, I know I'm very late to this party and I see that many of the guides for rooting are quite old now. I just want to know if all the guides in this section of the site are still applicable to an old virgin unrooted droid 2. Also, which method does you folks recommend for backing up contacts and programs before rooting?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
L

Lucasd2002

Reaction score
I was going to follow the method in this thread. I just want to make sure that my contacts will not be deleted by rooting via this method. Any help would be appreciated. I believe all my contacts are synced with gmail so I guess they are safe, correct?

The app mentioned there "Titanium Backup" - does it require the phone to be rooted before installing?

What about all of my angry birds records? Obviously, not the most important thing in the world, but... would be nice to keep them.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been cruising around with my droid 2 for a while now in stock/standard configuration (ignorance is bliss). I've just had to much going on to mess with the phone until recently. I now have a little extra time and the recent software update from a few weeks ago has made Pandora essentially quit working. I used to listen for hours at a time at work, but now it won't even make it through a single song before the phone crashes. So, I figured now it is finally time to root this puppy. Plus, it would be nice to get rid of the BS apps that came with the phone.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know what software I have on it right now- it's whatever standard VZW pushes to the phones. Which version # or whatever in 'About Phone' would tell me if I have gingerman or whatever.

Anyway, I know I'm very late to this party and I see that many of the guides for rooting are quite old now. I just want to know if all the guides in this section of the site are still applicable to an old virgin unrooted droid 2. Also, which method does you folks recommend for backing up contacts and programs before rooting?

Thanks!

In "About Phone," what is the Android version?

- Your "Contacts" should save automatically to your Google account.
- Titanium Backup is your best bet for backing up app information.

I was going to follow the method in this thread. I just want to make sure that my contacts will not be deleted by rooting via this method. Any help would be appreciated. I believe all my contacts are synced with gmail so I guess they are safe, correct?

The app mentioned there "Titanium Backup" - does it require the phone to be rooted before installing?

What about all of my angry birds records? Obviously, not the most important thing in the world, but... would be nice to keep them.

The given thread is really dependent on which Android version you're using. If you're on older firmware, it will work. If on the newer, which is probable, it won't work. Titanium Backup does require rooting.

Either way, I believe you're scared that you're going to lose information by rooting. Rooting will not cause you to lose information, however, anything past rooting, such as flashing, you can lose information.

OP
L

Lucasd2002

Reaction score
Thank you.

I have now tried to root my D2 multiple ways with no success so far. I tried the standard way, but I assume my phone has software that is newer and prevents that method from working. I also tried the one-click method from the end of the thread for the D3 phones - also did not work.

What should I try next?

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
Z4root with airplane mode on... if on 2.2.1 gingerbreak with airplane mode for 2.2.2 for both methods make sure USB debugging is on

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
L

Lucasd2002

Reaction score
Z4root with airplane mode on... if on 2.2.1 gingerbreak with airplane mode for 2.2.2 for both methods make sure USB debugging is on

I tried Z4 in airplane mode and no dice.

The phone has 2.3.3 (100% standard VZW).

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
Gingerbreak 1.2 or Droid 3 one click

OP
L

Lucasd2002

Reaction score
Figured out my problem. I had to change the USB setting to "charge only" and then the 1-click method finally worked.