Rooted Tether Problem - Disconnecting

musichappens

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Have been using the forums for quite some time, but never had an issue to post. Hopefully I've researched enough and haven't missed an older post pertaining to my same issue.

Anyway, I've had my Droid X rooted for quite a while now, and have had this same problem for about as long. My main reason for rooting was for the free wireless tethering option. It does work pretty well, but I always have a problem: I'll start the tethering, and will be using it fine. After some amount of time (it varies), the traffic indicator will jump from whatever number it was currently downloading at to 0 and pages will stop loading. Usually, I will have to restart the tethering to get pages to continue loading. It's not a devastating problem, but it does become a nuisance.

I have used two different tethering apps (Wireless Tether and Barnacle Wifi Tether) and have experienced the same problem with both.

I wonder if another app is interfering with the tethering option. If anybody knows of a potential conflict with other apps, please let me know! If this doesn't sound like the problem, any other suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks,
AMW

mr_silent

Reaction score
Make sure that your carrier allows for tethering. It may be that they're onto you and put a packet sniffer on your account to monitor the contents of your d/l's.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

musichappens

Reaction score
I'm on Verizon, and they do allow for tethering. I'm not sure about the packet sniffer, seeing as this has been a problem since I first started using the feature. It didn't work properly at first, and then gradually become a problem. It has pretty much always had this problem.

cebosound

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I am trying to figure out what the issue is. I think he may be right. The carrier may have something in place to stop people from using the "free" wifi.

I look forward to more comments from experienced driod users.

cebosound

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I am trying to figure out what the issue is. I think he may be right. The carrier may have something in place to stop people from using the "free" wifi.

I look forward to more comments from experienced driod users.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
VZW has no such thing. This is an issue with tethering. You can try different channels. For some people Wireless Tether doesn't work well. Try barnacle or if you're rooted try the TBH 3G hotspot hack in the hacks subforum.

cebosound

Reaction score
VZW has no such thing. This is an issue with tethering. You can try different channels. For some people Wireless Tether doesn't work well. Try barnacle or if you're rooted try the TBH 3G hotspot hack in the hacks subforum.
okay. that makes sense.
barnacle seems to work better than Wireless Tether. The "associate" button seems to help; plus there are some automated options for that too. Its not great, but it seems to be manageable.

It sounds like the TBH 3g hotspot hack may be the way to go. I haven't really looked into depth into that one though. It seems to have many steps and appears to be much more complex. I may look more into it down the road, atleast for informational purposes if not for anything else. Thanks again for the reply. :)