Rooted Droid X 2.4.3 wifi tether?

IYIaster

Reaction score
I've rooted my Droid X that is running ginger bread 2.4.3 and I'm trying to get the wifi tether working so I can use the internet from my phone on my IPad. The non root apps don't work and the apps made for rooted phones don't work. Verizon recently got fined by the FCC for charging customers extra to use their phones as a wifi tether.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

From reading that article I should be able to download an app from the play store and my phone doesn't even have to be rooted, but every one I've tried says "Your phone isn't currently configured to be used as a wifi modem or hotspot. -- Verizon Wireless" when trying to bring up a web page after connecting to the tether.

Does anyone know how to get this working?

Pilot145

Reaction score
A couple of things...

I've rooted my Droid X that is running ginger bread 2.4.3 and I'm trying to get the wifi tether working so I can use the internet from my phone on my IPad. The non root apps don't work and the apps made for rooted phones don't work. Verizon recently got fined by the FCC for charging customers extra to use their phones as a wifi tether.

What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

From reading that article I should be able to download an app from the play store and my phone doesn't even have to be rooted, but every one I've tried says "Your phone isn't currently configured to be used as a wifi modem or hotspot. -- Verizon Wireless" when trying to bring up a web page after connecting to the tether.

Does anyone know how to get this working?

First, make sure USB debugging is on. SETTINGS > APPLICATION SETTINGS > DEVELOPMENT.

Second, I've been successfully using PDAnet and FoxFi. PDAnet will allow you to plug your phone into your computer via USB and use the phone's data connection to browse internet on your phone.

FoxFi allows your computer to see your phone as a WiFi hotspot.

I hope that helps. Otherwise, it may be an issue with your phone's configuration.

Oggie7797

Reaction score
First off the droid X only seen 2.3.4 not 2.4.3 lol...and foxfi is best it actually works doesnt need root and works on stock with usb tether and wireless

Sent from my unicorn themed DROID X running AOKP-Kanged? v2.5