Wireless Tether vs USB Tether

zuckerj

Reaction score
I have a general question related to tethering that I would welcome a technical answer for.

I have rooted my phone, and installed the wireless tether application.

It works, but, it is extremely slow (very frustrating).

I have also installed Easy Tether, and tethered via USB cable (which is what I am using right now), and it is very fast and works great!

So does anyone have an explanation why the wireless tether works so poorly on the Droid X?

Just a bit more information, I have also setup and used Bluetooth tethering (no software or rooting necessary) and it functions along the same level as the wireless tethering with regard to speed. Could this issue of poor performance be related?

Thanks for any enlightening comments, in advance.

Jz.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I have a general question related to tethering that I would welcome a technical answer for.

I have rooted my phone, and installed the wireless tether application.

It works, but, it is extremely slow (very frustrating).

I have also installed Easy Tether, and tethered via USB cable (which is what I am using right now), and it is very fast and works great!

So does anyone have an explanation why the wireless tether works so poorly on the Droid X?

Just a bit more information, I have also setup and used Bluetooth tethering (no software or rooting necessary) and it functions along the same level as the wireless tethering with regard to speed. Could this issue of poor performance be related?

Thanks for any enlightening comments, in advance.

Jz.

Well, lets see. The wireless in my house runs...ok. My computers are not blinding fast and even though there is "N" speed wireless throughout, they respond at like 5 or 10 mbps (or something like that). It's what it is.

If I hook up a firewire to the back of the wireless hub, it's maniacally fast...like 100mbps or something crazy. My little netbook loads mozilla pages like they were already-opened Word Documents.

This experiment is almost verbatim how my DX is. Wireless tethering to "other" said devices are slow-er but not snail-slow either. If I tether direct via USB, it's noticeably faster. Not the same as my router speeds, but fine for what I'm looking for.

Are you trying to online game with your DX?

I really didn't notice that much of a difference in the connection speed though...I'm mean, my 3g connectivity "inside" my house is less than desireable which is why I hook up wireless while home and everywhere else with a free signal...when I use my DX as throughput to other devices, the "to" signal suffers whatever fate the 3G gods let the phone have and that is what the push-pull demand is fated on. If it's Wireless in- wireless out...the result connectivity is pretty darn good though.

OP
Z

zuckerj

Reaction score
No. Just trying to bring up a web page.

And when I say EXTREMELY SLOW I mean, multiple minutes, sometimes, for web pages that come up in seconds with the USB tether.

The reason I'm posting this is that there doesn't seem to be a rational explanation, in my mind, for the difference outside of purposeful interference within the OS.

Interesting that you get decent performance when you wireless tether.

Are there multiple wireless tether applications floating around for rooted DXs, or is it just the main one that everyone is using?

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to have my U-Verse turned on in my new home, so my Droid is my ONLY connection to the outside world for now. Other than going out through the front door.

Jz.