Rooted Nexus - ok to update to IMM76k?

rhwimmers

Reaction score
I have a galaxy nexus that I rooted (just use wireless tether, not doing anything fancy) and got an OTA update from verizon on IMM76k, is it ok to do this upgrade without messing anything up?

Thanks

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only thing that will happen is you'll lose root. All you have to do is re-flash the su.zip

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
R

rhwimmers

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info - is it worth the update, anything special in it? Would love some better battery life and a louder speaker # ; )

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just flash the already rooted imm76k it's the same thing.

pool_shark

Reaction score
See if OTA rootkeeper works.
It's supposed to backup root and allow you to get it back after taking an update.

droid_mike

Reaction score
Carreful!!! If you are using Clockwork recovery or some other non-stock recovery image, you will get a hard crash at reboot as reported here in the forum. AFAIK, being rooted and unlocked is OK, but I cannot confirm that for you until I get my update. Certainly try the OTA rootkeeper app. It supposedly works for the GNex, at least for most of the users who commented on the app. For the one person who didn't, restoring root failed, but it can't hurt to try.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Guys its a nexus there is no need to use rootkeeper. On a locked down d2, dx, razr maybe. For the nexus if you are already rooted and unlocked with a custom recovery you could:

a) flash back to stock, relock, wait for ota, reunlock, reroot, and reinstall recovery.

b) either install it prerooted via custom recovery or flash a custom rom like eclipse .

Me personally I choose b because it is less steps (step a for me just will not be an option if I am already rooted unlocked and running a recovery).

So if you want to save steps just follow the steps here and flash the radios and imm76k. I been running it for awhile and it is the exact same thing

[ROM]IMM76K 4.0.4 Stock, rooted, deodex, busybox, zipalign + MODs - xda-developers

Just trying to help.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just trying to help.

Not allowed. ;)

For some reason some rooted users would just rather take the OTA then flash the rooted stock ROM. Thus why I mentioned re-flashing the su.zip. Your way is even easier though.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Guys its a nexus there is no need to use rootkeeper. On a locked down d2, dx, razr maybe. For the nexus if you are already rooted and unlocked with a custom recovery you could:

a) flash back to stock, relock, wait for ota, reunlock, reroot, and reinstall recovery.

b) either install it prerooted via custom recovery or flash a custom rom like eclipse .

Me personally I choose b because it is less steps (step a for me just will not be an option if I am already rooted unlocked and running a recovery).

So if you want to save steps just follow the steps here and flash the radios and imm76k. I been running it for awhile and it is the exact same thing

[ROM]IMM76K 4.0.4 Stock, rooted, deodex, busybox, zipalign + MODs - xda-developers

Just trying to help.

If they are rooted and still choose to take the OTA update, rootkeeper is a much simpler method.

OP
R

rhwimmers

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help. I am downloading the 2 files now (modded firmware and the radios), this will be the first time I have done something aside from when first rooted. I do have ROM manager v5.0.0.7.
I went into rom manager as I was posting this and did the backup current rom - phone immediately died and rebooted now stuck with the android logo laying on his back with a red triangle and !
I held the power button to get the menu up and just did a restart - booted up fine it seems.
I didnt see the info on how to load the modded firmware that I am currently downloading, do I just put that file on my phone via USB then use the rom manager to install it? Same thing with the radios (ive never done a radio update).

OP
R

rhwimmers

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]so am I going to just do a [/FONT]adb push VZW_toro-4.0.4_IMM76K_su.zip /sdcard/ then do a adb reboot bootloader? Is that what you mean by a manual push?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No I highly recommend you start from the beginning. You need to first set up adb. Second download the recovery image you want to use (which one is posted in the above thread i linked). Third you must push the recovery image through fastboot then flash the su.zip that is posted in post 8 of the live help thread.

OP
R

rhwimmers

Reaction score
I ended up getting the rootkeeper, did the OTA update, lost root, reapplied root, done. Less then 2 minutes total!
Curious about the radio updates - do those come with the OTA? I have been having an issue the last 2-3 weeks where I dont get a data connection, I have 2-4 bars but its grey, not blue like when there is a data connection and it doesnt say 3G or 4G. Even happened the other day when I was on WIFI, usually just waiting it out or turning wifi off then on will resolve it...Any ideas?