Rooted DROID 1 with SuperOneClick (Can't remove stock apps)

cletus

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to android. And since buying a DROID 1, I'm really mad about the piddly little amount of memory. Since I don't like Amazon, etc.... I rooted my phone to remove it.

So I read and read and read all these forums saying if you root your phone, you can remove stock apps. I used SuperOneClick, I have SU in my main menu now. But when I go into my Manage Applications, the Uninstall for stock apps is grayed out.

So according to my phone I'm rooted, but I can't do anything with it. Any suggestions what may have gone wrong? Or I might be doing wrong? I'm running 2.2.2 FRG83G

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah, you cant go into manage applications and remove them. You have to go into the file system and do it manually.

There are threads on the forum with instructions on how to do so.

enyalius

Reaction score
Alternatively, download Titanium Backup, and use that to uninstall apps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
cletus

cletus

Reaction score
Interesting enough, I downloaded Titanium Backup (Free) from the market. When I ran it, it tells me it could not acquire root privilege and make sure my ROM is rooted.

So I see a lot of talk about SuperOneClick is pretty popular and sounds like people are having good success with it, but so far, I'm not feelin the love on this.

Have I missed something? Is there another way for me to verify if I'm rooted or not?

FillTheVoid

Reaction score
TB needs a working version of busybox. If you press the problems? Button in TB it will chech to see if you have it and if not install it for you. If not you should restore your backup and try a different root method like the Z4root app.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

enyalius

Reaction score
Interesting enough, I downloaded Titanium Backup (Free) from the market. When I ran it, it tells me it could not acquire root privilege and make sure my ROM is rooted.

So I see a lot of talk about SuperOneClick is pretty popular and sounds like people are having good success with it, but so far, I'm not feelin the love on this.

Have I missed something? Is there another way for me to verify if I'm rooted or not?

Also, have you tried opening a terminal app and issuing the SU command? That will also tell you if you are properly rooted. Terminal apps can be found on the market.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
cletus

cletus

Reaction score
Its working now, but not after a near heart attack. I guess what wasn't made clear, is that this application requests for SU access only at the time you open TB. No biggie. I thought once you were rooted with SU, it stays that way all the time.

Anyway, at first, with the TB Free client it wouldn't let me do anything. So I downloaded the BusyBox, put my phone in Debug mode. Now when I soft-key-hold the app I didn't want, it would give me an option to Force Remove App. So I tried it.

Not good. It rebooted automatically, and when coming back up, it gave me a triangle splash screen with ! in the center. I thought I bricked my phone. Power button wouldn't work either. Phone was frozen. So I pulled the battery, put it in, pwr'd back on, all was well. But the app was still there.

So now, I decided to purchase the full ver of TB Pro so I can freeze apps instead. It worked just fine now. I discovered in the Pro version there was another way to uninstall apps. Which works just fine now.