Rooted... but not?

supercripple

Reaction score
Today, I've run into a very interesting and aggravating predicament. My Droid has been rooted for about a month now, and I've had no serious issues whatsoever. Today, however, I went to go use some of my root-only apps and they did not have root access, nor could they gain it. I checked superuser, and they all still had permissions set, but none of them seemed to think they did. I opened Easy Root (how I got root in the first place) and tried to unroot and reroot my phone, but whenever I click the unroot button it basically does nothing. Tells me I'm unrooted, then immediately says "You're already rooted" like I hit the root button again. And no, I have no idea what I did differently to cause this. Yesterday I got the update that allows me to see Flash in the market, could that have been it? I don't know..

Any ideas?

P-Droid77

Reaction score
If you received and accepted the update it may have unrooted your phone. I dont know much about the easy root program as i rooted per the RSD Lite traditional way. Most of the ROMS developed have some sort of settings to block the OTA update to avoid unrooting the phone. Have you received both of the updates that have come out in the past month or so?

P-Droid77

Reaction score
I have had no problems since rooting with this method. When I first rooted, I had no idea what I was doing and I managed to figured it out and have not looked back ever since. I Love my rooted phone and all the options available to rooted users. As far as i can tell its actually pretty difficult to "brick" the droid. Just make sure you make a nandroid backup once your rooted. As long as you do not delete it you should be able to always start over....Good Luck!!

pdub

Reaction score
I have also noticed between yesterday and today that I have lost the ability to use my wired tether, and wireless tether. They both require rooted access, and neither work. I have rooted both ways (RSDlite & easy root) and prefer the easy click, seems less invasive. But I guess ill have to go back to the rsdlite. Gotta have my tethers!

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
EasyRoot does not work with the latest patch (FRG22D) and the developer has said that it never will. You will need to root another way if you want to re-root.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but you may want to reinstall busybox. If you have Titanium Backup, click "Problems?" and you'll be prompted to install the latest version of busybox. That's the easiest and I'd start there first with busybox.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you are rooted and don't have a custom recovery then, when you accept the Verizon OTA it will not be blocked and will "mess" with your root access.

The best and safest way to root is link 3 in my sig. If you do not use this method exactly you will continue to have root issues.

HamDog

Reaction score
The update you received yesterday unrooted your phone. Easyroot does not support the latest update that was sent to your phone and cannot root your phone with that update. The only way to root right now is to do it manually.

As Tallica said above, follow the instructions in his link #3. That's the only way to root right now (that I'm aware of for the Droid 1). It's far from a one click method of rooting. The instructions are long and may seem complicated at first, but just take it one step at a time and it will work.

elensari

Reaction score
Same problem, but I'm on a Mac. Help please? OS10.5.8 /Droid 1/Froyo 2.2

Thanks