Rooted a G1 about a year ago, just got an original DROID

REALIZE

Reaction score
As stated, Ive rooted an G1 before, but just recently got this original DROID on a deal from wirefly. Im running 2.2 with FRG22D. I would like to know where the best Tut is to root, and what everyones suggested ROM is for performance and wow factor. Looking to get teh most out of this as I can, want to really get into this droid thing. Have above average understanding of the field, and problem solving skills are top tier IMO. Sorry, as I do know there are around 3 or 4 of these a day, but Ive searched around, and dont really know my way around here.

Any help is appreciated, and I look forward to being on here more....

OP
R

REALIZE

Reaction score
Thank you corina, it is much appreciated. Are there any preferences on what rom would be best performance wise? Other than the one in that tut?

Side note: I JUST moved from maine to georgia. Just escaped the weather drop. /life story

jrmdroid

Reaction score
Thank you corina, it is much appreciated. Are there any preferences on what rom would be best performance wise? Other than the one in that tut?

Side note: I JUST moved from maine to georgia. Just escaped the weather drop. /life story

to Root FRG22D you can use MotoCashe1 Root Droid 1 with any OS. This is a great guid to root now...

IAmTheHuff

Reaction score
matter of preference

LithMod and UD8 with Chevys kernals have worked the best for me. I have tried just about all of them its really just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
For ROMs, I recommend getting the ROM Manager app in the Market, if you get the paid one as well, you can download many of the popular ROMS and kernels out there.

I liked Sapphire 1.1.1 when I had my Droid, very stable and there are a lot of themes available for it, if you are into that. :cool:

OP
R

REALIZE

Reaction score
does that guide that motocashe posted work with the 2.2 update?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motocache's guide works with any O/S on the Original Motorola Droid

OP
R

REALIZE

Reaction score
sorry to be a bother, but as Im trying to figure this thing out, I want to make sure I have everything correct before I start voiding ****, ya know?

Am I going to lose any functionality gained from the 2.2 update? like all the live wallpapers and stuff like that?

OP
R

REALIZE

Reaction score
Did it. Thanks guys. I now realize my last question was a bit.....amateurish.

Its just root access. Now, what ROM to install....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did it. Thanks guys. I now realize my last question was a bit.....amateurish.

Its just root access. Now, what ROM to install....
Lots and lots of choices for ROMs and kernels.

Not all Droid react the same way to roms and kernels so you'll have to do some tinkering, but it's fun either way :)

OP
R

REALIZE

Reaction score
Well, I was going to try and install Bugless beast's ROM V0.4 for 2.2, but whenever I tried to figure out how to install a custom rom, they always told me to root it with droidmod. Which, would be pointless since I rooted it with motocache's guide.

Anyone want to get me in the know? Can my original DROiD handle it, and how do I get it going? I know that you have to power off, hold X then power up to get into the SPRecovery.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
For ROMs, I recommend getting the ROM Manager app in the Market, if you get the paid one as well, you can download many of the popular ROMS and kernels out there.

I liked Sapphire 1.1.1 when I had my Droid, very stable and there are a lot of themes available for it, if you are into that. :cool:

I DON'T recommend Rom Manager!!! Realize, you did the right thing just going with Sprecovery.

The first thing you need to do BEFORE installing ANY rom is to make sure you make a backup. Here's step by step instructions:

Boot your phone into recovery.
Scroll down to backup/restore – hit the gold key
I prefer doing an Advanced Nandroid backup. Scroll down to Advanced Nandroid backup – hit the gold key.
You’ll be on “Set backup name” hit the gold key and type in a name (I usually name it the name and version of the rom you’re installing i.e. UD8.0) then hit the return key.
Scroll down to Perform backup and hit the gold key.
After it says done hit your power button to get back to the main menu. Voila! You now have a backup just in case you jack up your droid :D

if you get stuck at any point feel free to use the rescue squad (Found here: Droid Rooted Help - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum) for immediate professional assistance.

Happy flashing!! :D

Last edited: