Root

CyberKing419

Reaction score
I've read several forums and my question is this what does it mean to root a phone and what are some of the advantages/disadvantages, and can my htc thunderbolt from Verizon be rooted?

xm0067

Reaction score
Essentially, root access is gaining the ability to modify and file on your phone, think admin privlages on Windows OS. It opens the doors for a lot of customization (like removing all those pesky bloat apps like skype mobile) and, if you're feeling adventureous, you can do thinks like flash custom ROMs. On my Droid 2, I run ApeX (a ROM)and get 25+ hours of battery from the standard battery, all the while I've speeded up my phone by taking my 1 ghz processer up to 1.15 ghz. Also, as far as I know, your phone can be rooted (especially since I've seen roms for it).
I hope you do root, it opens up a great door into the technology world.

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated DROID 2

OP
C

CyberKing419

Reaction score
thaks xm0067 now all i need you to do is point me in the right direction so i can begin modifying my phone. So is there a forum and u didnt say whats the downside of having a "rooted" phone but thanks again cause that was helpful enough

xm0067

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135802

That is the current root method for your phone, and the "HTC Thunderbolt Hacks" forums is where you'll get all your ROMs and such.
The only real downside to rooting is that you void your warrenty, but there are ways to re-apply the stock, un-rooted ROM in worst-case sinerios (research this before you do anything, just in case)
Good luck and happy hacking!

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated DROID 2

azdrifter

Reaction score
I've read several forums and my question is this what does it mean to root a phone and what are some of the advantages/disadvantages, and can my htc thunderbolt from Verizon be rooted?
One of the biggest advantages i have found is that you can use Titanium Backup this app will help you freeze apps and backup your current ROM and settings so that when you flash to a different ROM you don't have to keep downloading all the apps you already are used to and have setup in your current ROM.Or if you're not very adventures you can at least have super user permissions.