To Root...or NOT to Root

fgonzo98

Reaction score
Hello all...as a designated Droid 'Newbie' I've been reading and seeing quite a bit about rooted Droids...

A couple of questions:

What is the advantage to rooting my Droid?
While the process of rooting seems pretty simple, what happens if I do something wrong? If I 'break' the phone, can I fix it?
Will rooting my Droid affect upcoming Android updates?

I'm pretty good on the computer, but new to the phone-programming stuff..

Thank for your help!

Reaction score
It's pretty tough to "brick/break" your phone if you follow the directions good. Always remember to use SPRecovery to "save" your phone's current state. If the screen can light up, we can almost always get you back to stock. PM me if you want anymore info. :)

EDIT: Search for DMUpdater, it can really help root and install SPRecovery 03.b. Enjoy!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally have only read a very small handful of people that have bricked their Droid. The last was a message about a developer who was trying something and bricked his. Go ahead and root...it's not difficult and lots of people around DF who are more than happy to help you.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
We'd love to help you root, just make sure you're familiar with the normal use and behavior of the phone. It's really good to have that point of reference, in case something goes wrong.