new to droid and rooting

fertig 70

Reaction score
I am new to droid. Just bought my first smartphone, Droid X running 2.2.1. I have already found a lot of usefull info here and been very thankfull. I have seen a lot of talk about rooting and rom's. Being new to all this. What is rooting, and what are the advantages? I am interested in wireless tethering and have read that I need to root first. What are the other advantages? What are rom's?
Thank you in advance for your help

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to DroidForums! There are A LOT of threads here explaining root and the like. The search option on the home page is great. :)
Basically and simply, think of a house...all the things that make it run (water heater, circuit breaker, furnace, etc) are in the basement but the door is locked. Rooting unlocks the door.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
F

fertig 70

Reaction score
So if I do not have a programming background, am I getting over my head. I am mainly interested in wi fi tethering and blocking ad's. I can live with tethering via usb.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I have no programming background yet somehow I deluded the folks in charge into thinking it'd be good to put me in green tights and carry around a lightbulb. :)